sharing with different ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
i've successfully set up a network between my mac and PC to share files, but i need to have an internal IP, or one of the same range in order for it to work. Is there any way to set this up and use an ip of 10.0.1.x, and 71.197.abc.xyz?

thanks

well you may recall from my other post, but it goes ISP --> cable box --> switch --> pc/router (router to apple / laptops). speaking of which, how could i make the apple a gateway computer, cause that would really make things better (gateway to router). could i?

so right now im using my wireless card to connect to my apple. its working fine, a good 10mbps, but i wanted to take full ability of my switch

my pc ip is the 71.197.abc.xyz, and my Mac is 71.231.abc.xyz. using online tutorials like http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3001.html . So im just "mounting" (seems so out of place for some reason...) the shared folders, which are "TomMusic", "TomVideo", "TomPicture" and "TomWeb"

The XP machine and the router is connected to the switch? Or is it the MAC and XP connected to the router then the router is connected to the switch then the switch is connected to the cable modem?

And can both computer access the internet and ping each other?

Sorry man, I'm just a little confused by the way you have the devices connected and it's like midnight here too.

oh hey, no problem... your the one helping me... thanks by the way

but heres a "nice diagram" of my internet... both have internet access at the same time too. the dotted line indicates wireless signals

exp.png

:p

but than also if you could, is there anyway to make it go apple --> router instead of router --> apple (so the apple is a gateway)

You can if you have two NIC card on the MAC. Have it configured as a NAT server or Circuit-Level Gateway. Have the router connect to it then the laptop connect to the router. I have no idea how to set this up on a MAC OS. You would actually have to turn that router into a switch by disable it's DHCP server, NAT feature and using only the LAN ports.

What is the brand/model of the router and what port is it using to connect to the switch? LAN or WAN port?

its the AirPort Extreme Base Station by Apple. It connects with an ethernet port, as well as everything else in my humble network :p.

But im not really sure if i could make the apple a gateway, because i have no idea how it would go out of the computer, and into the router because it has 1 NIC :sad:

but back to the home network, any idea on how to do it (link the apple and pc)? Because after thinking about it, my Apple would have a private or internal IP, and my PC a public IP address. I'm thinking im just going to call my good friends at apple and post the solution for other forum browsers, but if you know by chance, seeing how you are the legendary Law :p

Also, i need the DHCP server for the laptops... but thanks, i'll set that up with my other PC's i have laying around

why dont you put the PC on the router as well, and then they can all be assigned an internal IP by the router's DHCP server. they will then all share the same external IP.

well i can do that, but i absolutally hate the airport... also, i have a network set up with my wireless card and (connected to the airport at the time) and my wired connection. so i guess on that pic there should be another dotted line from the router to the pc : oops:

but i want the PC to have a unique IP so i can access my files and make that factoring program (search for $30000 :p). This way, people can connect directly to me instead of my router.

I have more reasons, but i don't feel like typing them all... i dont want to rearrange any hardware... i just want to get these stupid computers communicating through the wire :grumpy: :Tom is going to bed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom