Sharing DialUp via Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
Heres what I want to do, and I know that it is possible.

I am just unsure which software or how to do it..

I have 2 computers, a desktop, and a laptop.

I want to share the dialup that is connected to my desktop via wireless to my laptop. I have the wireless router wired to my desktop. And my laptop wireless to that. How can I share the dialup to my laptop, is there a program or what can I do..

I know that there is no sharing options if I go to like right click on it in NETWORK CONNECTIONS it does not say anything about sharing. Quick and nice help would be MARVELOUS!!! Thanks guys, Hope thats semi-clear.

First off this wouldn't be possible with your current network devices. What I have in mind but I'm not saying it will work because I never attempted to even try or research it. Ok here it goes

The desktop PC must have a wireless card because you'll be setting up an Adhoc connection which is two computer communicating with each other wirelessly. I have no idea on how to set this up. You would probably follow the instruction on the first link on how to edit the OS first then the second link on how to setup an Adhoc connection

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12421-how-sharing-56k-connection.html
http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

I'm giving up I've attempted to many things and they all just F up my network, IPS and everything so screw it. But if someone finds a way. Let me know thanks!

Are you not able to get broadband service in your area?

If you have the computer and laptop in the same subnet, and are able to ping between the 2, you should be able to share an internet connection (I would think). Which version of Windows are you running? I know that there is an 'INTERNET SHARING' option in XP, but I don't know if it would work with Dial up.

I have that exact setup in my house and have it sharing a dial-up connection wirelessly. I have to have dial-up because high speed is not available in my area. This wireless connections is the only thing keeping me sane. I have an access point wired to desktop and wireless connection to laptop and other comps on diff level in house. I am using ICS for win xp. The nice thing about this is that you can control ( and by control i mean connect and disconnect) the internet connection which is very nice. Getting this set up was a little bit tricky but the practically networked site helped me out tremendously. Here is the link: www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

If you have any questions or help (ill try to the best of my ability :D ) feel free to use my personal email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom