Sharing a dial-up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnulr

Solid State Member
Hello,

Am I missing a setting or something? I get a reasonable connection for where I live but no matter what browser I use I cannot browse.

Interestingly enough when I enable my personal wireless connection there's no problem.

I am working on a neighbor's computer that requires dial up and when I dial up I can get connected from time to time but even though it says I'm connected I can't browse. I checked my browsers and "working offline" is NOT checked so I'm stumped.

This person also has "several" lan connections and I can't delete them because the "Delete" option is greyed out.

Any help would be appreciated.

All my personal computers are using XP as well as the neighbor's I'm working on.

Thanks!
jnulr

P.S. Other than "Satellite" (what I personally have) there are no other broadband options available here where I live.:amazed:

So..who's having what problem..sound like both of you are trying to share a single 56k line.

Your neighbor has dial up right? His computer should be directly connected to the rj11 wires coming from the phone jack?

Use this guide http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310410&sd=tech

Afterward once you are connected, use ping to test your connectivity, like ping www.google.com see if that reaches, if not then you fall back to pinging the IP address of google.com

Thanks for the response Law....

O.K. After much deliberation and effort of trying many things I had remembered reading an article a long time ago that said when you're using a "hub" and/or "switch" (which this couple was using) separate the main connection (main computer connecting to the internet) by one or more slots on the hub/switch so the next one from the sharing computer isn't directly next to the main. I know it's "crazy" but it worked as soon as I did it.

Thanks for your response.

jnulr:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom