Sharing Broadband w/o router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie578

In Runtime
I just got optimum online whereas i had DSL before. DSL came with a Westell Versalink 327W Modem/Router/Wireless Router. Now i have just the single cable modem. I need to split this to another computer and i dont have a router. I tried using the westell but it didnt work. I also have a switch and some cat 5 and cat 5e. The westell may work, but i havent gotten it to work. I also have a spare ethernet adapter so i might be able to share it if i have 2 adapters in my pc, but that would require a cross-over cable. Is there any way i can share my internet w/o buying a router? I will probably buy one anyway, but it will take a few days to arrive via newegg and its 2x as much in stores. I need internet on both pcs asap. Any suggestions? Thanks!

A switch will work, but you will need to buy a second IP address from your ISP.

Some cable modems (Motorolla SB5100/5101, that I know of) has both an ethernet and a USB 2.0 port. These modems support the use of both the USB and Ethernet port at simultaneously. However, you will still need to buy a second IP address from your ISP for this to work.

Why not just go and buy a $50 router and bypass the other stuff? That seems like the easiest solution to me.

The spare ethernet adaptor in the main PC connected to the other PC via cross over WILL work, but you have to run Internet Connection Sharing, and the Main computer HAS to be ON in order for it to work (I would suspect... can't say I have ever tried ICS).

The best thing to do though is get the router, because it will make network problems MUCH easier to trouble shoot, and allow for future expansion also.

Ok and you can expand on the ICS application by ditching the crossover cable, and adding that switch that you have.

Cable modem connects to NIC 1, then the switch to NIC 2, then other pc connect to the switch.

This is essentiall what a router is, a computer that assigns the individual computers private IP's (ie. 192.168.0.2 etc). The router has the public IP, as well as a private IP.

So the main computer, the one w/ 2 NICs, will have 2 IPs the public one, and a private one, and would need to be on in order for the other computers to get online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom