Shared printer/folder problems when migrating server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spug03

Beta member
Hi Guys, this is my first post so be nice.

Currently i'm going through a server migration from on old server to a new one.
so far everything has gone fine. The new one is configured as a domain controller and the only services running on it is DNS and DHCP so far... well at least they WERE.

Old server - Windows server 2000
New server - Windows server 2008 R2

my problem starts when we cut over the DHCP services from the old server to the new.
once we unauthorize and stop the DHCP services on the old server and start it up on the new one everything works fine until the PC's start retrieving their new ip's from the new server.

I should note - i started receiving ip address conflict errors on the PC's first off...
I thought this was fishy and just told people to release/renew ip's and we didn't receive the warning again.

once the machines got a new ip, I began having issues with shared printers and folders.
for printers i received an error that the "printer spooler service is not running".... this seems to be specific to xp machines.
Our Vista machines could still print off them fine, same with accessing shared folders.
Locally, the printers work fine.
This printer specifically is a Lexmark T630

for one in particular that i was working on (above), i updated its driver to the newest available and restarted. and still the same error on the xp machines trying to connect.
I have verified that the printer spooler service is running on the machine, and also that its dependencies are running as well.

So, this seems to be some kind of a network issue.

I have a couple hunches as to what this might be and will try them once i get the chance to cutover again... for now i went back to the old server for DHCP and everything is working fine.

If you guys have any ideas as to what might be causing this please help me out here, it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Is the new server on an active directory or no?
Is the printer on a network cable or via a print server
Can you post up the DHCP configurations?
Do you have any IP address are that statically assigned?
If you do, are they in the same range that is assigning them?
Can you post up all the network configs on the 2000 server and 2008 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom