Shared Internet w/ 2 NIC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I read somewhere its possible with windows xp, to use your PC like a hub and run internet to another PC (or in my case I'd like to run it to my PS2) using 2 network cards an a crossover cable. Aside from setting up the hardware, what would I have to do to set this up on my PC?

it would be operating like a layer 2 bridge (two ports). You wouldn't need a crossover either. In "network connections" you can modify your interfaces to bridge, it's really quite easy. I don't remember the exact procedure for windows, but look around in the network connections for something about bridging.

You're going to enable Internet Connection Sharing; this will be the software that will turn your PC into a basic router. Hardware you will need is two NIC on the PC and cross-over cables. Optional hardware are a Switch or Hub which provide more ports for other computers, but this would need a straight through cable to work.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

It isn't that difficult to configure the PS2, just get into a PS2 network setting and manually statically assign the address in the guide, that's about it.

Crossover cable are use for connecting PC to PC together because they have identical pins, therefore the transmission pair has to crossover to the receiving pair hence the name crossover cables. Straight-through cables are use to connect two device with opposite pin, like a PC to a Switch.

ohhhhh right :) I got it... I was thinking there would be a switch in line or something. Good call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom