shared folder problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnshan

Solid State Member
Hello,
I recently installed a wireless router in my home. It is the linksys linux router and is running HyperWRT without issue. I have a prismiq media server, 2 PC's (one XP home, one Win 2000), and a laptop running vista.
I have installed network magic to manage the network. I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin internet security as a firewall. I can see all the devices listed on the network magic map and all are said to be working fine.
The problems I am having are as follows:

1. I have made certain folders on my main PC shared both through windows and through network magic. They show up as shared on the network magic map. My other PC can access these just fine. My laptop cannot, I get a "folder not accessible" error. PC-Cillin has been configured to allow network magic to run. I am not sure what I am missing. Is there a way I need to configure HyperWRT so that my PC's and laptop have "all access"? That is truly what I want. All access for all my computers.

2. My printer is connected via USB 2.0 to one of the PC's. The other PC can print to that printer. I cannot get my laptop to print there. I have tried installing the printer manually and the laptop cannot see it or get to it. I am not sure how to get this to work. Do I need to buy a print server? If so, why can the other PC use the printer through the network?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Pat

You don't have to do anything to the router as long as the Internet work for all of them then the router is functioning as it's suppose to. All your Windows file sharing traffic should be local, meaning it does not need to pass through the router technically, but on a basic home router the switch is build in. This is what network administrator refer to as local traffic.

Have you made sure you can ping the remote machine by IP address and host name?

No you do not have to buy a print server, the workstation connected with the printer is the print server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom