Share internet between 98 and xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundmaster2.0

In Runtime
I am thinking about getting cable internet and networking the computer in my room with the one in my parents office.

They are running 98 and I am running xp. They will pay for half of the internet bill if I shar the internet with them so I was wondering if you can share the internet between a widows 98 comp and a windows xp comp.

cool are usb cards as good as the pci cards because my parents are paranoid about opening the computer? They act like its going to explode.

USB can be just as good as PCI, but sometimes you pay a little more. The only bad thing I found about USB adapters is that mine was a lot more difficult to setup over my PCI cards... but that might just be a one off experiance!

So as The Urge said, buy a wireless router and 2 PCI cards (or a USB adapter) and you are good to go.

...can't you be sneaky and install one when they are out and just say they had one built in hehehe... look much better!

Soundmaster2.0 said:
cool are usb cards as good as the pci cards because my parents are paranoid about opening the computer? They act like its going to explode.
They do have Windows 98 Second Edition I hope (W98 SE). Before that USB devices/drivers were a little quirky. Given the choice, I'd go with a PCI Ethernet card any day. You can pick up a Linksys LNE100TX for about $10-15 on sale and since it's been around for forever, there's drivers for W95, NT 3.51, and up.

Windows 98 - ah that brings back memories. Daily unexplained crashes. IRQ conflicts. MMMMmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom