Setup networking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy

Baseband Member
Ya ya I know its real easy.... till you try.... :)

I have a desktop on Vista and a laptop on Win 7.
The desktop is connected directly to the modem and the laptop
connects remotely via the router.

Anyhow, before I get to the nitty gritty, a question or two.

Do I do the setup from one machine or the other, or on both ?

Now, what is the easiest way to do this ?

Thanks

Just put them both in the same Workgroup.

From there, go to Network and Sharing Center and click Advanced Sharing and enable file and printer sharing, and if you want, disable the required password.

Should be able to right click on the folder or drive that you want to share and go to Sharing and Security and set permissions/rename how it will appear on the network.

Should be able to open up an explorer window and type: \\<computerName>\
and it will show all the shared resources on that computer.

Sorry for my lack of clarity. Here is my set up.

They are both connected to the router, the Desktop via cable and the laptop wireless....

In windows help they had instructions on setting up a network when all comps. are wired to the router, and when all are wireless...... not sure if it make a diference, but I have one of each ??

So what are my first steps.

Just told you what your steps were lol...

That's how I did it. I have 1 computer directly connected to the router, 1 connected through a switch that's connected to the router, and 1 wireless (laptop).

Just put them all in the same workgroup so they're all recognized together. Then do the rest of the steps as I outlined above. I'm not at a Win7 or Vista computer (our work uses XP mainly at the moment), and I can't give you more specific instructions at the moment.

Right, the win 7 has a workgroup and homegroup .... ?

Anyone have details for a win7 and Vista setup ?

You'll need to do workgroup. Homegroup is if all the computers will be Windows 7. If you have XP/Vista, though, you'll need to set it up using a Workgroup.

Win7 / Vista setup will be pretty much same as Win7 / XP setup, except networking options will be more similar to Win7 than XP.

The network is working, in that I can see the other computer, however I only see the "public" user ....

I had set up a "workgroup" for each, not sure how that fits in.

1) how do I give/get permissions to view the other user folders.

2) how does workgroup fit into this.

1) Right click the folder > Properties > Sharing tab > set its share name and click the permission button and set whatever permissions you want (read only, read/write). Easiest thing would be to just make an "everyone" group in the sharing properties (if there isn't one already) and change rights to that group. You only have to set the permissions on the computer the folders are located on.

2) A workgroup tells computers that they can communicate together more easily, is the basic gist of it.

OK
the network is set up i.e. I can see the other PC and "a" user....
but not all.

Looking from Vista to Win7 I see one of the users listed (who is locked) but I don't see the other one that is there ???

p.s. when on the vista machine and if I go to computer > C:users I don't see that user there either ?
It certainly exists, since I log onto it and use it.

Any ideas ?

Carnagex
p.s.
when you said "1) Right click the folder > Properties > Sharing tab > set its share name and "
are you saying I have to give the folder another name than whatever it is ?

when sharing the folder which I've done, I chose the everyone option.

What exactly are you trying to share? Are you trying to share a folder under your user's folder (e.g. My Documents or something like that)?

When I said set it share name, you can do that through the 'Advanced Sharing' button, sorry. That's the route I usually go through cuz I set permissions/names differently for my network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom