Setup a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4A1

Daemon Poster
I have a laptop that goes through a routher which is connected to my old PC - the old PC doesn't have a wireless network card, therefore it's hooked up to the router which is hooked up to the cable modem.

I'm not too sure where to begin if I want to network my old PC and laptop together?

Anyone can help?

ok i take it you have a wireless router correct? Does it have any RJ-45 connecters in the back so you can go wired? If its only a wireless rotuer you have to go buy a wireless card for your desktop pc to connect.

Setup

Modem Router Pc
Laptop

The pc and laptop need to be gonig into the router. Not pc to laptop.

Does that help? If not please explain your setup in detail.

If your wireless router/modem doesnt have any RJ45 port at all, then you really have no choice either buy a new wireless card for your old desktop or buy a new wireless modem with RJ45 port which will cost you even more.

If there is/are RJ45 port, then you can connect them to the hub/switch and you also connect the laptop and the pc to the hub/switch.

Let me explain it in further detail:

I own a PC and a laptop.

The Laptop has a wireless card in it.
The PC doesn't have a wireless card in it.

The PC is connected to the router.
The router is connected to the cable modem. The cable modem is connected to the wall jack.

My laptop connects to the router for the wireless internet. (NO WIRES)

I have 4-5 slots available on my router.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Okay, I read your post correctly...

What you need is 5 port firewall that also has built-in wireless capabilities.

Plug your cable from your router into the "uplink" port of the firewall (A netgear or linksys one should do fine... get the latest one that's also compatible with your built-in wireless [probably 802.11g...] ).

Then use the laptop with the wireless part of the firewall, and your computer wtih the cable plugged into one of the available ports of the firewall.

From there, you should be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom