Setting up simple LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Ok, I'm new to the forums and I just got my new computer (peep the sig) I want to set up a simple lan between two computers for gaming. I know I need a hub and cables, but how do I configure the LAN so that windows recognizes it (so I can play games on LAN) Thanks for any help.:D

You don't necessarily need a hub, you can just use a crossover cable. If you're using Windows XP then it should be good at detecting the network automatically.

what you need:

1 router
3 cables

have a cable going from each computer into the router
have your thrid cable coming from your interent connection to the router.
(tha's for if you want both to be able to access the net)

or

1 crossover

connect each end to the computers.
(i suggest when doing that, setting static ip's because the computers will have an eaiser time seeing each other)

m3trj said:
You don't necessarily need a hub, you can just use a crossover cable. If you're using Windows XP then it should be good at detecting the network automatically.

i think this user's going to need to setup both connection with two unique ip addresses on the same subnet.

open network connections, right click lan connection, click properties, select tcp/ip, click properties,

set one ip to 192.168.0.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
set the other ip to 192.168.0.3 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

click ok, click close. you should now be connected. You can use this setup with either the hub config or the crossover

edit: if using a router this config is not required as the router will assign the addresses automatically.

Well to be honest, for ease of use a router would be better as it uses DHCP to automatically assign an IP address, and XP should pick up all the information automatically.

m3trj said:
Well to be honest, for ease of use a router would be better as it uses DHCP to automatically assign an IP address, and XP should pick up all the information automatically.

tru tru, but sometimes you need to work with what you have

woot6600GT said:
Okay guys, thanks for the help, hopefully I'll be up and running with my new LAN soon!:D

so you're gonna play over lan with a friend?

i'm wondering what your purpose for doing this is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom