Setting up shared drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this while you're in XP on the other computers and trying to find it while the drive is hooked on the Vista machine? You may need to use a hotfix to get them to see each other on the network.

Also try running the Network Setup Wizard in XP's network connections.

Here is my setup.

l_54c8a2e0efd048d29549c20514938487.jpg

What I did was set up the external drive as my shared drive using Vista on my main PC. That worked based of your instructions. That PC is what my external is hooked directly into, it's also the one I want to share over the network. What I am trying to do is to get my secondary PC with XP only to see that shared drive that I created on my main PC with Vista. Those two PC's as you can see are hardwired into the wireless router.

I'm not sure what a hotfix is, but both of my PC's are up to date on their updates if thats what it is.

Can any of the computers see each other on the network?

Like I said, try running the Network Setup Wizard on the XP machines to fully enable networking.

Ugh I hate networking in XP...got MUCH simpler in Vista and better in Win 7, IMO.

I think they can see each other, but I'm not sure. On my main PC (the dual boot Vista/XP one) I set up a network in Vista... I think. It showed other connected devices but I needed passwords to access them. I'm doing something wrong, I'm just not sure what. I've tried setting up networks on 3 PC's now with no luck. It's like they are making their own individual networks, they just can't connect with one another. I'm not too great with this stuff... I am handy with a computer and learn by tinkering and doing stuff... For some reason I can't seem to get this :dead:

Bah... I give. My buddy suggested downloading and using Network Magic. Ever heard of it?

Can't say that I've heard of it. I've always just setup my networks from within what Windows has built in. Go ahead and try it if you want and let us know how it works.

On the vista machine give rights to all users on the external drive.

In a pinch you can always access the machine by:
\\computer_name
or
\\computer_name\drive_share_name
or ip example

from my computer in xp.

You can also map the drive as well.

On the vista machine give rights to all users on the external drive.

In a pinch you can always access the machine by:
\\computer_name
or
\\computer_name\drive_share_name
or ip example

from my computer in xp.

You can also map the drive as well.

I gave him instructions on how to do all that :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom