setting up a new network and have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadrobot

Baseband Member
I just moved in with a few of my friends and because I am pretty much the only one that knows computers I am in charge of getting all 3 of our internet up and working.

First off. In my last network (in my parents house) used a linksys router (supported 4 port 4 wireless). But now with this new network we have no need for wireless and all being in college not much money so I bought a Netgear switch.

Now I know in terms of technology it goes hub>switch>router but what are the advantages? and will I suffer many downfalls (as in speed and technical problems)?

The reason I am asking this is because with the new DSL service we just got hooked up (alltell) we are already having problems. At a pretty random rate and for just a split second the DSL will cut out on all computers (making gaming and downloading REALLY hard) and I am trying to narrow it down as far as what could be causing this problem. BTW we are all 3 of us are using WinXP (2 on home and 1 using pro)

that doesn't sound like a problem with either the switch or the computer, sounds like a problem with the DSL...do you get the same issue when just one computer is hooked up to the modem?...and btw my setup is as follows: Alltel DSL modem to switch(5 port switch, four computers and one router) off the router i have 2 wireless and 2 wired..and i've never had any problems

Try the original computer that was first plug into the modem, if the ISP records the MAC address of that computer they should let you on. Afterward you can clone the MAC address of that computer into the router so it would appear to the ISP that the original computer is still connected.

its hard to notice when i am browsing because all that happens is pages stop loading so if i am reading i dont see anything. But I always notice while playing games because I get disconnected. I used to have some software that monitors my connection and tells me whenever I get disconnected but I have long since unistalled it. If anyone knows something like this it would help alot

After a day of browsing and listing to internet radio I am pretty sure that this problem only happens when I am playing World of warcraft. Not online games but specifically World of Warcraft.

Too much network devices, you said your connection went hub>switch>broadband router.

There could be too much traffic on the hub if you are connected to it, have you tried connecting to the switch or if the router has some extra port maybe connect to the router?

Answer if you connect directly to the DSL modem and it disconnect you while playing WoW.

If it was only happening with WoW, and SPECIFICALLY YESTERDAY, it could have been on Blizzard's end, as myself, and a BUNCH of my guildmates were having the same trouble on Dalaran Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom