Setting up a New Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Public_Static

Beta member
Hi I am going to be implementing a new network at my company and was wondering your guys opion.

I was looking at Windows Small Business Server 2003, with about 10 users and I know a little bit, but could use some guideance

The server configuration would be :

Dual INTEL CPU 2.8E Xeon Processors
ASUS MOTHERBOARD DUAL XEON E7525
Antec Performance TX Series Case w 480W PS
Kingston Memory 4GB DDR2 400MHz PC2-3200 ECC Registered
WDC 2x300GB Int 3.5-in SATA 1.5Gb s HDD 7200rpm 8MB
Sony DVD+ -RW 16X16 Black DOUBLE LAYER
WDC 160GB Ext 3.5-in NetCenter for daily back-up
OPTI-UPS ES1500C 1400VA 980W RJ11 RJ45 Software Cable UPS

I would need internet and file print sharing for all computers on the network. Also I would like to setup VPN access...and maybe Web Mail option.

I was looking at getting a Hardware firewall and a 24 port router, I was thinking :
Netgear FVX538NA ProSafe VPN Firewall 200 8x10/100 Ports
Netgear JGS524 24-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

was wondering the best setup for the buck, and if the setup mentioned above would work. Also all client machines will be upgraded to have gigabit network capabilities.

The current system uses Novell.

I was wondering how hard it is to change over from Novell to Windows SBS 2003. All the current machines run on windows 98/windows 2000 or windows XP. I was also wondering where I buy the CAL's for the Windows SBS 2003 what does that actually give me...do I install it on my client machines as well or do I leave the current OS that I have now on the machine?

Thanks I know there is alot of questions in there.

steve :D

for simple file sharing SBS 2003 should be fine, just install the OS and copy any shared files over, setup shared printers and such, however for networking unless you want a big pain i'd move to 2k and xp for clients, the CAL's is what legally gives you that any connections at any one time to the server, so like you said you want 10 users then 10 cals should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom