Setting up a network server. Recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@$t3r_N30

In Runtime
Hi Guys!

I am working on setting up a network or computers at my school. Here is the situation:

We have about 15 new Gateway PC's (XP Pro, 2.5 GHz, 256MB.....) in a lab. We also have about 30 or more users accessing the internet for either curriculum or research or any amount of other things. Right now, our set up is as such, Each computer has has about 4 users assigned to it. The problem here is that all the files are only available on that computer. Not to mention, that more than one user might need to access the same computer at the same time. Obviously this method is not great and hopefully temporary.

Now, my thoughts and questions:

I would like to set up a network server to host everyones files, accounts, and programs. Leaving virtually no need to use anything directly from the clients. I need a way to set up the server with many user accounts each with advanced options like limited disk space and access to programs perticular to that user. What software/hardware will I need to set this up properly. Linux is not an option and the budget is somewhere around $1000 ideally.

Also, what type of set up will I need to do to the server in order to create all those accounts and let them access programs installed on the server. Can I keep the network in a workgroup or do I need to set up a domain (if so, how).

And lastly, Once the server is set up with accounts, How do I set up the clients to display a server login when Windows boots. I want this is simple as possible for the users (students).

Thanks alot. I know its long. Any help would be appreciated.

--Master_Neo

Wow.... Lots to do.
Well lets see.
You need a Domain for sure.
You Need Active Directory as well.
AD ( Active Directory ) will allow you to create/store the account information for your domain.
You will also need a FS ( File Server ).
You can use the same server for both of these however that will get pretty cramped and slow.
All you really need for a FS is a LARGE HDD that will accomodate the needs of all of your users.
AD will be your biggest expense.

I know im forgetting things so if i did... just ask again.

Btw... There are a TON of details that you will need prior to setup.
Infrastructure
Subnets
ACLS's ( Access Control Lists )
Group Permissions

Oh boy! Sounds fun!

Assuming that no more than 10 or so users would be on at the same time, would it be okay to use only one machine as both a file server and AD? Also, I can't imagine that any one user would need more than maybe 20-30 megs of personal space on the server. The only programs thatr would be installed, would be Office 03, Keyboarding Programs, and maybe Printshop or something. So would an 80gb be sufficient?

When you mention AD, is this something that is included in, say, Windows Server 2003? I know I can use almost any OS as a basic file server. Would that be my best bet?

Is there any chance of keeping this around $1000 assuming we need a new machine and all the software.

Also, can you give me a brief description of a domain compared to a workgroup and how to set it up? I know it asks you in the Windows setup about that, but I never really payed attention.

If I get this server up an running successfully, I shouldn't need any third party software to present a Network login at the Windows screen, right?

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have a million more questions, but I think I can figure most of it out on my own.

--Master_Neo

The number of clients connecting to the FS at once won't be too bad.
So you could probably get away with having the server combined.

The space issue will be a little different.
You said that you don't think they will need more than 10-20 Mb each.
That will change. That is an awfully small number. A more realistic one would be 100 - 200 Mb ( and thats still small ).
If you need to have each person allocated a specific amount you can create a home directory path for each person.
Usually this will be labeled the H: Drive.
Automatically mapped in AD.
If you just want to have a FS that is a basic host ( easier ), you just need to setup the permissions on those HDD's ( RAID 1 ).
That would make your life easier. All those permissions can be dealt with directly through AD on your Domain.

Domains Vs. WG's ( Work Groups ).

In your situation you might be able to get away with a workgroup.
You would need to have everyone share Folders that they can access/modify. Each client would have their own HDD to host their own files/folders. The problem would be the localized administration. Workgroups would require each and EVERY person to be incharge of the permissions they delegate.

Domain structure would be a lot more efficient.
The permissions or ACL's (access control lists ) would be centralized and distributed via the domain from one machine. ( Windows Advanced Server ) Domains are very organized.

Ok kinda got ahead of myself. Active Directory is Included in Windows Advanced Server 00/03. either one will work.
You would have to install extra components, but its rather easy.

Ok i know i have forgotten something.
sorry, just keep asking.

So basically, to sum it up, I need the following...

-A machine on which to run my server.
-An OS capable of running my server(Windows Server 2000/2003)
-A domain set up
-Active Directory
-File Server

In a domain, can I set up simple things like desktop icons remotely from the server and do it as a batch. SO I don;t have to do everything manually?

ACL's are something that can be set up realtively easy in Windows Server?

Then, once everything is installed, any user should be able to access their account from any computer in the domain, correct?

When you say Group Permissions, you mean a group of users (ex. 7th grade keyboarding), and then you can set it so every user in that group can access the folder where the typing program is stored, but no other group (ex. 9th grade Computer Applications) can?

Wow! This sounds like a lot of work! Better than the current set up though.

Thanks for your help.

Awesome! Thanks alot. I hate to say this, but that is probably a good start. :)

I will be sure to come ask for help when I start setting this all up.

Thanks for your info.

Have fun.. Its really good experience !
Just let us know if you need any questions answered.
There are really good people here.

If I may : I would try to find an MCSE infrastructure book like online or on ebay or something. That will help you out tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom