Setting up a network for internet cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

socom2playa

In Runtime
Hi this will be the first time i do this so i have a few questions, first of all i wanted to know if i should use a router or switch. i've been told that a router is the way to go.there will be 4-8 computers connected what router would you recommend for this type of setup?

this all depends on the type of internet connection coming in. Cable/DSL/T1? are you also allowing wireless connections?

most likely, you'll need a wired gateway/router, a switch and a wireless access point.

then you will most certainly need a gateway/router. go with either linksys or netgear. you will also need a good switch. if you would like to go wireless, then you will need either a wireless gateway router or an access point to go off of the wired gateway/router. personally, i would go wireless.
so, all in all, you will need a wireless/or wired gateway/router and a decent size (24 port switch).

how does a router and a switch work in conjuction with each other, i though it was that u use 1 or the other ?

Plug port from router into uplink port onto switch.

You make networking sound soo easy... I still cant figure out my future network.

It starts off as a router and a switch...

socom2playa said:
how does a router and a switch work in conjuction with each other, i though it was that u use 1 or the other ?

In order to share a broadband connection, you need routing. having the cable/DSL modem run into the switch and having the computers off of that switch won't work. You'll get one of those computers to work, but nothing else will be able to connect. The gateway/router needs to be in place right after the cable modem. Thats why most of these gateway/routers come with a 4-port switch already integrated. The are exclusively for sharing a broadband connection. If you can fine a decent wired or wireless gateway/router with a 12-20 port switch integrated onto it, then this is all you would need. The only reason why i mentioned the extra switch was due to the number of workstations you can potentially have connected (and room for expanding, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom