Setting up a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaisadam

Baseband Member
I have a computer connected directly to a wireless router running Windows 98 SE. I also have a laptop running Windows XP home with a wireless network card. I tried setting up the network using the XP setup wizard. I think I did everything correctly, but the computer running Windows 98 has Norton Personal Firewall on it and keeps blocking access with a trojan security alert. Does anyone know how I can allow access while mainaining the rest of the firewall advantages?

new problem

I installed ZoneAlarm on both computers and allowed each computers IP addresses to be connected to each other. I can connect to my laptop from the 98 machine, but from the laptop I get the same error message as above except the last line says "The semaphore timeout period has expired."

On the 98 machine I also have the icon that says "Internet Gateway - Unconfigured".

Double-check and make sure that both PC's are members of the "Trusted" Zone's that will allow a bi-directional traffic flow from the computers.

Also, triple check that the Windows Firewall is off, it is turned on by default now so that can also be a factor.

Try turning off Zonealarm temporarily to eliminate the possiblity of it causing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom