Setting up Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymaclennan

Solid State Member
I now have my USB Network Card and driver installed on secondary comp (laptop), I have broadband set up on the primary computer fine. I have my RJ45 Cross Over cable connecting the 2 computers but now what do I do?
Both comps are running XP.
Thanks

You can use the crossover cable between the two if your not using an internet connection, but if you want to use the internet you have to buy a router.

or you can buy and install another NIC in your machine.

Once their connected, run the home network setup wizard in network places, its a sinch

Both comps have network cards. I did consider router but I only want to connect 2 comps and this would be the easiest and cheapest.
I have a cross over cable already connection.

Ok, thats fine, then just run the network setup wizard and you'll be fine.

I was just saying, if you wanted internet access for the two of them you would need a router.

On the link you included..
What You Need
In order to get ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to work, you'll need the following items:

If you're sharing a DSL, cable modem, or other ethernet-based Internet connection, the computer with the connection must have two ethernet cards installed. (Microsoft doesn't tell you about this one!)

I have the following in secondary comp:
Network Card
Primary:
Broadband modem
network card

They are connected with a:
RJ45 Cross Over Cable

The link above was helpful and worked fine but howd I access the other comp.

Once you setup the network wizard, go to start | run and type in \\computer name.

or go to my network places and double-click the computer.

Ive been to My network Places but the only folder in there is 'SharedDocs on ...' which is on to the same computer. The network must be connection to the wrong comp, how can I change this?
I have seen that the IP Ad can be chosen but how do I find the Ip ad of the 1st comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom