Setting up my pc as access point for my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony42086

Solid State Member
Ok, here's the deal. I have two pcs and I'm trying to make an ad hoc network so I don't have to buy a wireless router (too cheap). The first pc (the one my cable modem is connected to) has windows xp sp2 (32-bit) with a realtek 500mW usb wireless adapter NIC. The wired NIC is an Intel 82562V-2 10/100 NIC. My other computer, the laptop, has windows vista sp1 (64-bit) and wireless Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN. Not that it matters, it also has a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet NIC. What I'm trying to accomplish is to transmit my internet connection to my laptop. I know there is a way to do this without a router or any other additional equipment through an ad hoc network but I can't quite remember how to do this. Any help with this would be a great hand.
Thanks.

Basically you want to setup a LAN between the laptop and PC (via wireless if you want)
Then you want to setup the connection between the PC and your modem. After that just enable internet connection sharing on your PC and the laptop should pick it up.

Hope that helps.

edit: use THIS link to setup the vista client
and THIS link to setup the XP host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom