Setting Up ICS w/ a crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

halo2jak

Beta member
I have DSL with Verizon, and i'm using A Westell 2100 Dual Connect Modem. The below names are just references so i can try and make myself clear when i explain my problem.

Computer A- Gateway Computer
Computer B- 2nd PC i'm Adding

Ok, i'm trying to set up another computer in my room, with a crossover cable, and i'm trying to share the internet connection. I installed a second ethernet card on Computer A, so i just have the crossover cable plug into that, with the other end of it running to the ethernet port on Computer B. I ran the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, and the Computer B still won't get an internet connection. I turned on Connection Sharing on the Computer A, but Computer B still has no connection.

It changed my Local Area Connection's (Port hooking both PC's together via Crossover Cable) IP on Computer A automatically to 192.168.0.1, and it changed the Preferred DNS server on computer B to 69.50.184.86, and Alternate DNS server to 195.225.176.110

Oh yeah, and on the Local Area Connection port on Computer B is labeled with the yellow exclamation point, telling me i have Limited or No Connection.

Is there another approach to go about doing this? Both of the computers are using Windows XP Pro, and both have SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you have set up your internet connection to run through the network.
Do you have a firewall? that could be the problem

Ok, I did ipconfig /all from Computer B, and then i got this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : kevin-b0dnqxo50
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-64-07-95
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.50.184.86

dnoch said:
Make sure you have set up your internet connection to run through the network.
Do you have a firewall? that could be the problem

I have a windows xp firewall, and i tried disabling it, but it still didn't work :(

Try giving microsoft a call. They helped me out with my failed network. They stayed in touch with me constatnly giving ideas untill the problem was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom