Setting up home network and server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so should I convert to a different OS? Or Windows home server?

Back to a summery:

- feed-->modem-->router-->switch

Switch to:
- HDD enclosure
- network Computers
- server? -->printer

Lol, so is all this adding up?

As an alternative if the printer has network capabilities then it could be linked directly to the switch, or if not you could buy something like: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online - Scan.co.uk)
it's a tiny print server I have a similar one which is working great. Benefit - you can keep your printer in a more appropriate part of your house (eg. study) rather than wherever you put your server :D.

Since you are going to have quite a few devices in your network by the time you are finished, a good 24 port switch would be well worth it (I use a 3com superstack myself).

For the server/servers there are many possible configurations to consider and all would depend on your requirements

Server functions:
-primary: storage of HD home movies, DVD movies, music, photos, files etc..and regular system backups.

With so many other systems around the house, especially the HTPC I'd like to have all my movies and home movies at easy and quick access and frequent backups due to the "importance" of the family photos and movies.

-secondary: Dedicated gaming server once or twice a year. Are there other functions of a server you think I'd benefit from that I'm possibly not aware of?

Printer:
Yeah, for now I'd stick with my current printer but eventually I want a good quality all in one to connect directly to the switch.

As for switches what about these:

Netgear Prosafe JGS524
NCIX.com - Buy Netgear Prosafe JGS524 24 Port Gigabit Rack Mounted Ethernet Switch - JGS524NA In Canada.

D-Link DGS-1024D
Newegg.ca - D-Link DGS-1024D 10/100/1000Mbps 24-Port Green Technology Rackmountable Switch 24 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table On ship: 500KB Buffer Memory per Device Buffer Memory - Switches

What are SFP and GBIC slots? Also, why are some labeled "gigabyte" while others arent? important?

I have the D-Link DGS-1024D, and it is a nice switch.

As far as the All-in-One's go, Take note that VERY MANY of them will LOSE functionality when being used on a network. I have had several in the past that would only PRINT over the network. Scanning was NOT supported in the printer drivers. So, if you DO this, make sure that the printer supports it before you buy.

This is all sounding easier than I thought....

So the router just plugs from any old ethernet port into any of the ports on the switch? Same with the server?

Do the other 3 ports on the router work as additional network ports as well?

Yes, they can act as additional network ports as well. Only ONE port has to be connected from the switch to the router.

Time to star adding this stuff to my x-mas list.

Now what about OS? Is it worth going to a server OS or is my XP Pro ok? I have vista 32bit as well but all my systems except the HTPC are on XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom