Setting up a home network Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

webdev

Beta member
Hello

Thanks for looking, first off im setting up a simple network in my house to mostly share adsl broadband but also sometimes files and online games on the network.

I was recommened that linksys were a really good make to go with as they are part of cisco and that netgear and Belkin are the more commercial brands.

Now im comparing the Mimo technology, srx200 (im confused by this) and pre-n

Is pre-n going to be worse than the N products when they come out?
Is the whole point of pre-n that it works with the new 802.11n when it comes out?
Will pre-n make the internet sharing faster or just file transfer network stability,range etc?
Should i get a router that is pre-n with mimo?
How does srx200 compare to mimo?
What do you think is the best routerto get at the minute(outof the normall variety's im not looking for fome company expensive one), maybe would you get pre-n or not and would you get mimo?

Maybe i would look for 1 pre-n with mimo, adsl2 and if srx200 isn't specificto linksys that aswell?

thanks, I
know its alot but all help is greatly appreciated
Best Regards

First off, remember that 802.11n hasn't even been submitted to the 802.11 committee, and most of the time these proposals get rejected the first time or so. Just as a note, I wouldn't expect to see 802.11 for another year or two at least.

SRX stands for Speed and Range expansion, and it uses MIMO technology (Multiple Input Multiple Output), which is one of the key features of the upcoming 802.11n Wi-Fi specification.

Basically the theory is that the more antennas you put on the router the more signals you're going to send out. Over long distances parts of a signal are going to be lost. The more signals you send out, the more fragments of signals you're going to recieve. You can then piece together those fragments and make an entire signal out of them.

Now you mentioned the srx200, which confused me; so I had to do a google. The srx200 is apparently the little brother of the LINKSYS WRT54GX4. The srx200 has the MIMO technology, but no extra security options. The WRT54GX4 is a pretty spiffy router, that comes with a ton of security options (including WPA2), which is the most important thing to me when it comes to wireless.

pre-n is the name of the Belkin lineup for MIMO enabled routers. Such as the BELKIN F5D9230-4 router. The belkin router doesn't support WPA2 though, which is a major downside when you're setting up a wireless network. With wireless, security is the number one priority, or at least it should be!

Just a couple of things to keep in mind; with this new MIMO technology, MIMO capabe adaptors must be used alongside the router to reach its full potential. Also, to connect to a WPA2 router in windows, a hot patch is required. You can probably get that off of windows update, but if not, it's available on the microsoft site.

hi

thanks for that, was a great help,

What router do you think would be best for me for fast internet adsl broadband sharing/connection?

thanks

webdev said:
hi

thanks for that, was a great help,

What router do you think would be best for me for fast internet adsl broadband sharing/connection?

thanks
SRX400 would be my choice, but it is expensive. If you're not on a budget, then the SRX400 is definately a solid router!

oh and with an adsl2 router would i need a adsl2 PCMCIA card or is there no such thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom