Setting up home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
the entry was restrictanonymous not restoreanonymous and not restrictanonymoussam. The restrictanonymous was to be set to 0.
Please read carefully, I'd hate for you to "delete" or do something else unintentionally.

The short of my concern was that sometimes when trying to negotiate a share, the resource user and pass aren't read. They are always "sent" by the client or requesting PC, but sometimes these bits aren't read, this is where the restrictanonymous comes in and if it set to 1, you will get that "You may not have permission to use this network resource" error, when, in fact, you do have permission to use this network resource.

You may want to restate EXACTLY what your problem is now because, after your last 2 posts and restoring from an earlier image, I'm not sure where your problem lies anymore.

the entry was restrictanonymous not restoreanonymous and not restrictanonymoussam. The restrictanonymous was to be set to 0.
Please read carefully, I'd hate for you to "delete" or do something else unintentionally.

The short of my concern was that sometimes when trying to negotiate a share, the resource user and pass aren't read. They are always "sent" by the client or requesting PC, but sometimes these bits aren't read, this is where the restrictanonymous comes in and if it set to 1, you will get that "You may not have permission to use this network resource" error, when, in fact, you do have permission to use this network resource.

You may want to restate EXACTLY what your problem is now because, after your last 2 posts and restoring from an earlier image, I'm not sure where your problem lies anymore.
Sorry for any confusion caused;Situation in Registry Both machines have "restrictanonymous REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)" and also "restrictanonymoussam REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)" entries. I assume the "restrictanonymoussam" is something like an _old change made by some application. As stated at the start of this thread, both machines are clean installs of XP Pro about a week ago for the laptop, and apart from AV (Avast4.8 home) and Firewire (Zone Alarm Free edition Version 8) hardly anything has yet been installed. Trying to sort out the file sharing etc. At the moment I can access the laptop from the PC but not the other way around. In Windows Explorer I can see MSHOME which is the workgroup and inside there are MyLaptop and Homepc folders..self explanatory. I can access the Mylaptop but when I try to access Homepc I receive message "\\Homepc is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.The network path was not found"
I've probably tried about every combination of connection possibilities offered in the Network Setup Wizard, with little success. What I actually have is a BT Home Hub wireless router. Each computer has a wireless USB adapter and both have good wireless connection to the hub. Hope this helps

Latest Update:
Solution found:
I found an old discussion thread somewhere else which described to someone else how to set up an arrangement such as I have. In Network Setup Wizard for both machines select the "Computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network"... This is the one option I didn't take as when I viewed the example it indicated that connection to the internet was via DSL or Cable Modem. Wireless not shown. If I hadn't looked at the example I'd have probably resolved this issue about 12 months ago. I had given up on it, and only came back after I upgraded my systems. Many thanks for everybody's input whilst offering help, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom