Setting up home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have reset to allow simple sharing. There appear to be no more up to date drivers than those on the installation CD. Have now directly installed printer on laptop and tried to print from there. Same handle is invalid message

Into the PC.

Done this: removed all duplicate printers from both machines, just left Canon MP110 on PC, checked it working OK and still allowing Print Sharing.
On Laptop did what you suggested, browse for found CanonMP110 on HOMEPC imported a few files and announced printer successfully installed. Tried to print via it and got.........you guessed it...The handle is invalid. Sorry....
This is an update;
Now have printer connected into laptop and can print from PC no problem, BUT..Still have the "The handle is invalid" message when trying to print from laptop, even with connected printer as default printer.

HEY! just thort of something. Can you assign an ip address to the printer?
e.g. like on my printer, there's an interface on which I can configure the printer network settings, such as ip addresses.

dang, that could've made things a lot easier.
Try deleting all your .spl files. They're the printer spool files, one of them might be causing the conflict.
Btw, what are you trying to print from? notepad, word, other application, etc.

dang, that could've made things a lot easier.
Try deleting all your .spl files. They're the printer spool files, one of them might be causing the conflict.
Btw, what are you trying to print from? notepad, word, other application, etc.

A search on both computers has found no .spl files.
I've tried printing from notepad, OpenOffice Writer, and web pages, and am now getting the message that "\\HOMEPC is not accesssible. You may not have permission to use this network resource...etc..... Contact administrator etc.
The Network path was not found." Can't even access files now.
I've run the Network setup wizard so many time I cant' remember which result was the best.
From PC all works fine, Laptop is the problem. Both have wireless access to internet through a BT Home Hub.

I've tried printing from notepad, OpenOffice Writer, and web pages, and am now getting the message that "\\HOMEPC is not accesssible. You may not have permission to use this network resource...etc..... Contact administrator etc.
I've run the Network setup wizard so many time I cant' remember which result was the best.
From PC all works fine, Laptop is the problem. Both have wireless access to internet through a BT Home Hub.

Well, I can tell you 2 things for sure:
1) Your networking problem really isn't a problem at all. You have it setup correctly, but there is a registry entry that has been hanging around since the good ol' days. It continues to cause intermittent problems...and sometimes not even giving the same results the same day.
2) The "handle invalid" error is: cryptic and VERY OLD. I remember getting that on an old Canon Multipass printer/fax/scanner that I had back in 1999.

Anywho... on to trying to help out:
1) Your current networking error is cause by the server or in this case "Serving" or "Host" PC setup to not allow anonymous logons. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. But to change it, go to your registry (Start > Run > regedit > "Enter")
Goto > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
There is a binary value of "restrictanonymous" that is probably set to a 1. Change it to a 0. Then you'll have to give it a reboot (Pretty sure a logout and login will work too for the lsa binaries.. but whatever... just reboot)
I would make sure that this is done on both.
I don't think that your handle error is related... but it might actually be.

2) For the handle error, I had to change a port setting in the BIOS on the mainboard. Pretty sure it was a shuttle if I remember correctly. (back then the multipass was connected via 1294 and not USB. I had to change the way that the BIOS saw the communication on the port. If you dont know what this means (ECP vs EPP) then dont worry about it... i'm just rambling until I can make some sense of why it's happening on yours. Let me think on this for a bit and do some searching. We should be able to fix that convoluted error up in the end.. just will take a little trial and error.

Update:
I've now got file sharing sorted OK. It worked by shutting down Zone Alarm on the Laptop. I've now entered the subnet Mask of the laptopop into the trusted zone and file sharing now works both ways. Just the printing problem now.............!!

Well, I can tell you 2 things for sure:
1) Your networking problem really isn't a problem at all. You have it setup correctly, but there is a registry entry that has been hanging around since the good ol' days. It continues to cause intermittent problems...and sometimes not even giving the same results the same day.
2) The "handle invalid" error is: cryptic and VERY OLD. I remember getting that on an old Canon Multipass printer/fax/scanner that I had back in 1999.

Anywho... on to trying to help out:
1) Your current networking error is cause by the server or in this case "Serving" or "Host" PC setup to not allow anonymous logons. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. But to change it, go to your registry (Start > Run > regedit > "Enter")
Goto > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
There is a binary value of "restrictanonymous" that is probably set to a 1. Change it to a 0. Then you'll have to give it a reboot (Pretty sure a logout and login will work too for the lsa binaries.. but whatever... just reboot)
I would make sure that this is done on both.
I don't think that your handle error is related... but it might actually be.

Found 2 entries for restrictanonymous first was set to 0 second set to 1; this on both machines. Deleted the entry set to 0 on both machines and re-booted. Now I'm back to only sharing files one way again. ie PC can read Laptop but not the other way round. How do I replace these entries, windows won' let be duplicate the name? In meantime I've renamed the zero value entry, and written a new entry for "restrictanonymous" value 1.

...about 40 minutes later..
Whooops!!! Just restored a Disk Image on laptop and checked Registry.Sorrrry..2nd entry was titled "restrictanonymoussam" ie. NOT the same. Have re-edited PC registry. So, in fact both computers had a zero value fo restoreanonymous, which presumably is what it should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom