Setting up home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob.rickman

Solid State Member
I've followed earlier threads on this subject but nothing quite fits my situation. I have a PC running XP Pro and a Laptop also running XP Pro. Both are recent clean installs. Both have wireless connectivity and connect to the internet through a BT Home HUB. What I can't do is get file and printer sharing to work. I have worked through Wireless Network Set Up Wizard many times and also through Network Set Up Wizard and also through My Computer/properties/computer name/ Network ID. but no way can either computer see the other for either file sharing or printer sharing. I have looked at repies to similar questions on other forums after a Google search, but nothing has solved things so far. I am the administrator and sole user of both machines. Printer is a Canon Pixma MP110 and works perfectly from whichever machine it is currently connected to. Both machines are fully updated with SP3. If anyone can point me right I will be extremely grateful.
Regards,

First, if they're just connected with a hub, make sure they are in the same subnet. If you're not sure if they are, post the ip addresses of both machines with their subnet mask.

If they are in the same subnet, disable Simple File Sharing. Sometimes it gets in the way.
Go to 'My Computer'
In the 'Tools' menu, click 'Folder Options'
In the 'View' tab, clear the tick box for 'Use Simple File Sharing'

anyway, try all that and post back.

First, if they're just connected with a hub, make sure they are in the same subnet. If you're not sure if they are, post the ip addresses of both machines with their subnet mask.

If they are in the same subnet, disable Simple File Sharing. Sometimes it gets in the way.
Go to 'My Computer'

Thats a good start, secondly, try turning off your firewall completely (see at the end) on both machines, reboot and see if you can see them under My Network Places -> Entire Network -> MSHome-or-whatever-it-is and if you see them and can access their file shares, then you just need to put in a firewall exception for sharing files.

If you are really curious or just wanna have fun(I highly suggest this), you can (after you do the above, just the firewall and reboot on both machines) go to Start->Run-> type: \\name of other machine\C$ and verify with your admin login, if you can see that, then the firewall was to blame, if not.... I will get back to you

Thats all.

Turn Off Firewall:
Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Off->Click Apply and reboot to make sure it worked.

Go to 'My Computer'

OK:pc ip address :- 192.168.1.64 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Laptop :- 192.168.1.64 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 so they seem to be in the same subnet. Switched off simple file sharing and ran Network Setup Wizard again, then situation as before. "MyLaptop is not accessible........The Network Path was not found" on PC, same message on laptop except HOMEPC replaced MyLaptop in the error message.Stopped Windows Firewall on both machines, same difference. Finally turned off Zone Alarm on both machines and ...things worked as expected. Now how to configure ZA to avoid this...??

OK:pc ip address :- 192.168.1.64 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Laptop :- 192.168.1.64 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 so they seem to be in the same subnet. Switched off simple file sharing and ran Network Setup Wizard again, then situation as before. "MyLaptop is not accessible........The Network Path was not found" on PC, same message on laptop except HOMEPC replaced MyLaptop in the error message.Stopped Windows Firewall on both machines, same difference. Finally turned off Zone Alarm on both machines and ...things worked as expected. Now how to configure ZA to avoid this...??

OK have put each computer in other computers ZAlarm Trusted Zone, and File Sharing working OK. Also finding printer, although having trouble actually printing. Keep getting message "The handle is invalid".
Also, is it right to leave "use simple sharing" unticked?

Have you installed the printer drivers on the other computer?
Yes, had them installed earlier, and just did it again. Same message...The handle is invalid.
In the Print requester box Select Printer now has "Add Printer" and 3 copies of My Canon
printer showing 1 named "Canon MP110 Series Printer on HOMEPC" and marked as default next named "Auto Canon MP110 Series Printer on MYLAPTOP on HOMEPC" and another named "Auto Auto Canon MP110 Series Printer on MYLAPTOP on HOMEPC"
I get same error message whichever I select.

Go into print properties for the computer that will print via the network. Delete all of the printers and start over. New printer / network printer / browse for printer / find the network printer and let it install.

If you are really curious or just wanna have fun(I highly suggest this), you can (after you do the above, just the firewall and reboot on both machines) go to Start->Run-> type: \\name of other machine\C$ and verify with your admin login, if you can see that, then the firewall was to blame, if not.... I will get back to you
Thats all.
Turn Off Firewall:
Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Off->Click Apply and reboot to make sure it worked.
Apologies for not responding earlier but backslash on my keyboard appears dead. Had to copy and paste from Character Map...!
On each machine now that Firewall configured, when I try this I get a connect to window asking for user name which I give and then asking for Password which I haven't ever set. OK without password just brings back the same requester box. Anyhow machines are now in touch with each other, just a bit unwilling to share the printer.

Go into print properties for the computer that will print via the network. Delete all of the printers and start over. New printer / network printer / browse for printer / find the network printer and let it install.

Done this: removed all duplicate printers from both machines, just left Canon MP110 on PC, checked it working OK and still allowing Print Sharing.
On Laptop did what you suggested, browse for found CanonMP110 on HOMEPC imported a few files and announced printer successfully installed. Tried to print via it and got.........you guessed it...The handle is invalid. Sorry....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom