Setting up an ftp site

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
Yea i want to set up an FTP for my friends to acces and all that good stuff but nothing eligal. Ive tried it once but no one could log into the server. I got a new router its a linksys54g this computer will not be hard wired it will be wireless. I want it to be a name not a # for the address and what FTP Client should i use? Help would be greatly apprecited i have cable for my connection. It is a standard 360 something up and 1 down but it is going to be 1.5mb up and 3 down so it will work out nice if i can get this thing up and running.
TY

Are you running winXP pro? - if so you can install the IIS ftp plug in and set up an ftp server nice and easily, you will find it on the additional items on your winXP cd.

I want it to be a name not a # for the address
I assume by this you want people to be able to access your server via an address such as ftp://myFTPserver.com rather than an IP address like ftp://12.34.567.890? If this is the case you will need to register for a domain name which will need to be hosted on a domain name server. So any time anyone enters you domain it associates it to your IP address. There are plenty of places that do this, google for it.

what FTP Client should i use?
If you are hosting the ftp site you dont need to use an ftp client as all of the files are on your own computer. - perhaps i got the wrong end of the stick and you don't actually want to host the ftp server on your own computer but want space on some other server. In which case you need to find someone willing to give you the space (for a small fee) and then you can upload files to there for them to be downloaded, but this is quite different to hosting your own ftp server.

If you let me know what operating system you are using, and whether you want to host the ftp site or not ill give a bit more info on how to go about doing it.

I'm always weary of using the IIS feature of windows. Back in the day, hackers could easily gain unauthorized access to 2k and xp machines using "root kits" available all over the internet. I'm unsure how secure it is today though.

Here are some common ftp programs that you can use
CuteFTP (easy to configure but crappy)
Bulletproof (easy to configure and better)
Raiden (harder to configure.. absolute best for speed)

I used bulletproof and then raiden on the same machine on the same connection and got waaaaaay faster uploads -- it's quite strange.

Ok i have XP pro and im going to host it off my computer and hard drive. I started to try to set it up with Serv-u ftp but i havent gotten far do u guyz know about that?

KUdave said:
\Back in the day, hackers could easily gain unauthorized access to 2k and xp machines using "root kits" available all over the internet. I'm unsure how secure it is today though.

root kits aren't used to gain access to machines. root kits are used to erase the hackers tracks, such as erase logs, cover up flaws, and maybe install another backdoor.

IIS has gotten better since the new security initiative. The server will only be as good as how up to date you keep it; patch your servers!!!

TheMajor said:
Try another port, like 3547 or something. My ISP blocks port 21 (default), maybe yours, too.

Why are you still with this ISP then? There are plenty about and for your ISP to be restricting what you can and can't do on the internet is a little unfair! You wouldnt like it if people in a certain location were not allowed to send you letters. Likewise you were not allowed to send them letters so why accept it from an ISP?!

Its one of the best ISP's over here. They are very good. I could pay more if I want to get rid of the restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom