Setting Up an Apache WebServer in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMemphisx

Baseband Member
*Please Read Before Posting Things Like... "JUST GOOGLE IT!!!!"*

Okay i'm looking at setting up a webserver, and i would like to do it in linux (for price reasons).

First, i was wondering which distro is best for setting up a webserver (as far as reliability, security, ease of use, etc... i assume that it's probably either RedHat or Maybe even SuSE, but i wasn't sure if there were better options available)?

After you install the Apache Packages, is there a program that you have to run everytime you want to run the site or does it become a system process or what?

Does MySQL and/or PHP automatically work with your server, as long as you have apache setup first?

Sorry i'm kind of a noob at this entire thing, but i'd really like to learn. Any information reguarding this matter would be great.

Go get Suse 10.1 and everything is ready for you, apache can be enable in YaST with a couple of mouse click. The apache service runs as a daemon and listen on port 80. You'll have to get MySQL in software management in YaST. Just search MySQL and it'll check all the dependency for you. PHP is an add on module both for Apache and MySQL.

Screenshot-1.png

"After you install the Apache Packages, is there a program that you have to run everytime you want to run the site or does it become a system process or what?"

You'll find that out when you enable Apache in YaST, if you do that it will auto install everything for you, afterward you'll get an option to manually start Apache or always start Apache during system boot, when you first enable Apache it's going to be running, if it isn't just reboot.

You can install MySQL before Apache if you could, it doesn't matter, however you should setup Apache first, if you're going to be running a forum, you'll need a dynamic language like PHP5 and a database server such as my favorite MySQL.

There is this awesome book call Suse 10 unleashed, pretty good info for Suse Linux users to start hosting servers and all the info you need to get going.

Link here about the book
http://safari.samspublishing.com/0672327260?tocview=true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom