Setting up 2 segments with Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbo

Solid State Member
I am in the process of changing my network around at home and need a bit of help. I currently use Astaro Security Linux as my firewall. This firewall has 3 NICS in it: 1 for WAN, 2 for LAN. The NICS on the LAN side are used for 2 different Network segments. 10.10.1.0 & 10.10.2.0. I would like to have the segments devided buy a router instead of the firewall. I have 2 Linksys BEFSR41 routers. I know these are not true routers but can I set these up so that I can use them to take care of 2 network segments? If so how? Thanks in advance :D

so you want to use the befsr41's as just switches? do this:

connect 1 computer to only one router at a time to set your options, do not uplink the routers yet. for one router set DHCP to :OFF. both routers have a default IP of 192.168.1.1 so you must manually set one of your routers to 192.168.1.2 or such so they do not conflict. these options are both on the first config page after you login to your router.

if they are both to be used as switches just turn off DHCP for both of em. i know that the befsr41's have 2 versions, the old one which has an uplink port (which when used disables port1) and the newer version 3 which has less indicator lights in front and no uplink port. i assume the port1 autosenses the uplink on port1.

so to uplink the two befsr41's together you must connect from port1 to the other router's port1, do not use the uplink port (if you have the older version). thats it i think, let me know if you have errors.

I am not trying to use them as switches but rather as routers. I want to use them to divide up two networks: 10.10.1.0 & 10.10.2.0 How do I set up the routers so they communicate to eachother if one is 10.10.1.2 and the other is 10.10.2.2? I am guessing I need to set up the static routing tables but I am not sure how to do that.

Edit: Here is what I want...

Segment #1 10.10.1.0
Segment #2 10.10.2.0

Router #1 10.10.1.2
Router #2 10.10.2.2

Firewall(gateway) 10.10.1.1

I want segment #1 to be able to talk to #2 and vise versa and both to use 10.10.1.1 for the gateway. Is this possible with the equipment I have? If so how do I set it up??

Sure, you have to setup static routes on both of the routers to allow the other router to obtain a routing table from it. You'll also have to enable RIP on both of the routers. Set both of the routers to send and receive RIP tables. In order to get the correct setup for your specific router then I would read through the Linksys pdf. It explains it pretty extensively.

-Mike

Well I read through the PDF and didn't find much in there (looks like their may be more then 1 PDF too). I set up a table on each router, not sure if I am right though. Here is what I did:

Router #1 10.10.1.2

Destination IP 10.10.2.0
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.1.1

Router #2 10.10.2.2

Destination IP 10.10.1.0
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.1.1

I also enabled dynamic routing(RIP2). I still am unable to ping anything on the opposite router. I am guessing I am wrong in my table but not sure. One of the few things I have never done is set up routers. Guess I still need some work on that....heheh :confused:

well you are not asking for a basic setup. what you are wanting to do is not that easy. are you sure it needs to be this way? i mean what is the purpose of your setup for? what are you using this for? not really sure if you need 2 routers if all youre doing is setting up internet sharing for a few computers on a peer-to-peer network.

ekÆsine said:
well you are not asking for a basic setup. what you are wanting to do is not that easy. are you sure it needs to be this way? i mean what is the purpose of your setup for? what are you using this for? not really sure if you need 2 routers if all youre doing is setting up internet sharing for a few computers on a peer-to-peer network.

My network here consists of 10 systems, 4 of which are servers. I have the servers on their own segment for security reasons. Currently I have 3 NICS in my ASL Firewall 1 WAN, 2 LAN. Each LAN NIC is a segment. I now want to divide the segments with a router becasue I need 1 of the LAN NIC's for another project. I know what I am trying to do is not easy but I need to try to get this to work not only for my project but also for my own knowledge. My network here not only serves as a working enviroment but it is also my "classroom" where I learn things and expand my IT knowledge. If what I am trying to accomplish is not possible with the routers I have then someone please tell me what sort of equipment I need to get this to work. Any help I get is greatly appreciated.:D

Nimbo said:
Router #1 10.10.1.2

Destination IP 10.10.2.0
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.1.1

Router #2 10.10.2.2

Destination IP 10.10.1.0
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.1.1

Almost...you had the right track though.....
If the two routers are connected to each other than you would use the following:

Router #1 10.10.1.2

Destination IP 10.10.2.0
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.2.2

Router #2 10.10.2.2

Destination IP 10.10.1.0
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.1.2

See if this wors for ya....

BTW....just use RIP1 or the default....you dont need 2 or above.

-Mike

Thanks for the help Mike but still no go. I feel as though we are close but I just can't seem to see what is missing.....:confused:

I dont suppose you can post a picture of your setup?
I've tested the above with SoHo and "Normal" routers and it works all day.....even if it rains!! :amazed:

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom