Set up Internet gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many PC do you have? If you only have two PC's why do you still want to use the router since your Intenet server, that is PC1, can act as your router. If you have multiple PC, just try to use a ordinary Hub and your PC1 one will take care of your Internet Connections since your only using a 56K connection.

I currently have 2 computers but plan to add a 3rd, plus I would like for my friends to be able to easily plug in to the network when they're here, which is why I wanted to use the router. I can of course use a crossover cable between the 2 for now, but I will need the router later.

If you are using a NOS like 2k server or 2k3 server you can use the routing and remote access feature to not only share the connnections but manage their access time and connections. But if you are on a regular OS my only guess is to set up a proxy server but im not sure if this can work on a dial up connection

I haven't setup a network the way you have stated so I may be way off here.

I have 3 computers and 1 router. All 3 computers are connected directly to the router. My Internet feed is then connected to the router, (I have a cable modem). The router likes to be master. I'm not sure you can run it the other way without major conflicts. Not sure though.

Forget about the router, router is for big networks, or lease lines.
Set up Proxy server like CCProxy v6.0 (or any), and point to it in the other computers. You can use MAPS to set it up for Mail and other services.
This is how is my home Network of 3 PC. Never had a problem.

Get Switch thats all you need.

Thanks, but I'm trying to get away from the whole proxy mess. Not all programs support the use of a proxy server and the configuration really gets to be a pain. As for the router, it is also functions as a switch. I Just want to be able to plug a system into the router/switch with automatic IP addressing and it all works, just like it does with a cable/dsl modem.

Ok....

Leave the router... router's are cool for big AND small networks... plus, you might decide to expand to a larger bandwidth connection one day and need it :p

You might try one thing...

Setup your computer 1 so that it is sharing its internet connection... and when you setup your second computer have it look at computer 1 by setting the Gateway and Primary DNS to the address you assigned to computer 1...

I'm not sure if this will work, but it seems like it should...

One more thing... When you're using a 56K connection, it isn't a bad thing to use a proxy server like Winproxy because it has caching capabilites that may infact speed up your internet connection... especially if you're sharing that connection between multiple computers...

Later.

Squirrelly1

As I said squirrelly1 is right too.
Blizzard596, If you change your mind ask here I will tell you the best winProxy servers. My Internet at home is dial up from server which have 2 proxy server working together.
The first server accepting conection from the LAN and is forwarding to second server.
Then the second server is using the most fast 3 to 4 Public Proxy server from 60 in the list......
I have and Third diferent proxy server which is by passing my ISP.
But not using it often.
The third server is mama-mia......
When I logon to www.all-nettools.com, they are telling me that
"I come form IP - which no one digit is same as My real IP"

Also if you want to get deep, there is actions called MAPING
with mapping you can hook any program which use internet to your proxy server not only the Browser and the FTP.

The good thing about a router is you dont have to use system resources from a computer to share internet :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom