service pack 2 and IE issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvstatus

Baseband Member
i recently got a new harddrive and installed windows xp professional on it. after updating the service pack 2 i notice my internet explorer wouldn't connect to the net. i've tried adding the program in the firewall, and it worked till i had to restart, i tried turning off the firewall and it worked till i had to restart, and i've tried a winsock and also a microsoft patch for issues with this problem. i've got nothing left; if any one knows a fix i would appreciate it. thanks in advance...

hp pavillion zt 1000
windows xp professional
512 mb
connected wirelessly to my network
dwl 122 usb
Internet explorer

thanks again...

yes they do, everytime i've added ie to the list on the windows firewall its been checked, it would work, then not work after a restart. the restart is usually after the microsoft update site finishes updating. i would then try and take out ie and put it back on again, it worked once that way but after another restart it didn't, then i would turn off the firewall it would work again, but after another restart it wouldn't.

if ie stops working, try pinging an address. start | run, cmd, and run ping www.yahoo.com

if this fails, run ipconfig /all in the same window. if your ip is 169.x.x.x or 0.0.0.0 this means your inet connetcion is dropping.

reboot the router and try again.

if it drops again, try running ping 216.109.118.68

if this succeeds, you have a problem with dns being unable to resolve names.

wierd thing just happened, i wanted to see if it made a difference if i did the ping when ie was enabled in the firewall. it didnt still got the same massage. i deleted ie from the firewall and ran the ping again, still nothing, got the same massage. after i opened up ie and it is working now. i'll try what you said and see it it helps.

oh and i have two other computers running on my network one connect and the other wireless. both the connected and wireless are workign fine, seems to be only the laptop thats having a problem

turn off the firewall until we get this problem fixed. I dont think the firewall is causing this problem.

try updating your nic driver as well

i turned off my other computer connected wirelessly and the laptop started working again.

the firewall was on, but i took ie out of the enabled box and its working.

I rebooted and ping'd the address given and all worked well.

i'm going to turn my other wireless computer on and see if there is an more conflict. and keep you updated

thanks for your help again

it seems it was the router as you said, everything seems to be in working order now, thanks again in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom