Server questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawngoodfellow

Beta member
OK I'm looking have a LAN set up in my business with 10 PCs running a wide variety of games. Now i'm thinking of doing it with a stand alone server I've never shopped for one or set one up so looking for advice and recommendations.

Re: Sever questions.

If you want to have a server, then you can opt to have one PC and install a Linux or a Windows server OS on it. I just have one question, why do you need to have a server?

Re: Sever questions.

Agreed, if these are just networking PC's with no central software or file sharing needs, there is no need for a server. You just need a switch so all of the PC will have access to the internet.

If you need to configure something like file sharing, DNS, DHCP or AD then use a server, if you just want 10 PC's to be connected to the internet use a switch. Save yourself a few grand.

Well i was thinking in terms of cutting costs looking at an amped up server with all my pc games library installed on it and then running 10 pc clients so i would not have to install 10 separate copies of the game for set up.

Licenses are going to be required for each PC, games ARE NOT setup to be shared. So you can't install the game on one pc then play it on other pc's. The only way to accomplish that would be to install on one pc, then rdp into the pc that it is installed on - which is going to suck in terms of lag, video quality and sound.

You can't install games on one PC and distribute to others - licensing and programs have to be specially geared for distribution like that. Something that games are not designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom