Server....

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolboy696

Baseband Member
What would it take for me to turn a computer into a server for myself. All I wanna do is host my own website. So what would I need to get a server up and running. The computer I plan on using is a AMD 1.3 GHz. I think that will be fast enough for myself. So some steps on how to get started would be greatly helpful! Thanx!

I would say a great starting point is to make sure you have the cooling situation down. Make sure you have a nice heatsink/fan setup and as many fans as you can possibly put in this case. Make sure the surrounding area is well ventilated(sp??lol). Then you can start on the server software itself, choose your platform, setup the needed services for hosting a website etc etc.

Now depending how important reliablity is to you, I would then concentrate on creating a nice backup system and make this a weekly if not daily practice. Then you can actually finalize getting the website working and live on the internet and move all the needed data to it.

It will be fast enough

Most people like running apache on a Linux server, and another TF member who did not know linux found it easier to run an HTTP server off on linux than windows.

If you are running the server on a standard cable line, then you don't need a fast machine. The average upload speed of the cable line is about 44kb/sec. You can use a machine with a processor at 66Mhz (with linux).

I attached a guide I wrote to setting up a debian server.

Attachments

• debian.txt
    2 KB · Views: 32
DJ-CHRIS said:
Most people like running apache on a Linux server, and another TF member who did not know linux found it easier to run an HTTP server off on linux than windows.

Are you reffering to me? because I couldn't get apache to work on my windows laptop but this website moose.homelinux.org runs off a suse 9.3 pro linux computer I set up one day
And if you can't onto my website is because I turn it off during the night because for now the server is in my room without a case and its too loud to sleep with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom