Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
our net admin sent me a techrepublic email, if you search their site you may find it...search for the title i guess. i just edited my last post.

edit: and now hil's post disappeared on me.

I admit it. I was wrong.

Everyone that I had ever talked to told me it was not possible to assign multiple IP's to a single NIC in 95, 98, or ME.

Edit: Sorry csamuels. After I replied, I saw you had given directions on how to do it. Figured it would be easier to delete my post and start over.

ok ppl, lets stopping hijacking major's thread. back to the topic at hand. dns on xp. I couldnt find much as normally you'd put a dns server app on a server os but i did find this page which may be useful.

Back on topic: Virtutal servers are possible using one IP, with some stipulations. Apache handles them by getting the DNS name from the header (I think thats the right term) sent by the client browser. Most browsers do this. It then serves the content specified in the virtual host configuration that corresponds to that address. Apache also supports IP based virtual hosting, but I have little to no idea how that works.

digitaloracle said:
Back on topic: Virtutal servers are possible using one IP, with some stipulations. Apache handles them by getting the DNS name from the header (I think thats the right term) sent by the client browser. Most browsers do this. It then serves the content specified in the virtual host configuration that corresponds to that address. Apache also supports IP based virtual hosting, but I have little to no idea how that works.

IP Based virtual hosting - Creating several IP addresses for one network card, and serving a website based on the IP entered by the source machine. VERY inefficient way to do this.

As for single IP virtual servers - IIS uses the header to determine which website to display. That's how it works. Hence why a DNS server is required to set up alias domains for your websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom