Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here you go (using a Windows server):

First, install DNS and IIS on the server

Open the DNS management console, and create a new forward lookup zone and name it whatever you like (major.local)

In major.local create an 'A' host record for the web server, and name it what you like again (server)

This results in a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of server.major.local

Then create 'CNAME' records that point to that 'A' Record. Name this whatever you want to use in your web browser (web1)

Then create another 'CNAME' records that point to the same 'A' Record. Name this whatever you want to use in your web browser (web2)

That will result in a FQDN of web1.major.local and web2.major.local

Now would be a good time to see if you can ping yourself by name. Open a command prompt and type the following:

ping server.major.local

ping web1.server.major.local

ping web2.server.major.local

If all of those pings come back successful, then you can move on.

Now, create your web pages that you want displayed. Make 2 different ones so that you can make sure that it works. Save the html files in 2 separate folders in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot directory.

Now open the IIS management console. Expand the tree under your server. Right-click the "Web Sites" folder, and click new website. Go through the wizard (it is pretty self-explanatory). When it asks for the header, type in web1.major.local or web2.major.local depending on what site you are creating.

Then right-click the new webiste that you just made, and click on properties from the drop down menu. Go to the "Documents" tab. Add in the html file that you want the web page to start with. Click 'OK'

Create another new web page using the same method as above. In the "New Web Page" wizard for the second web page, make sure to use a different header than the first. For the second one, it would be web2.major.local

After all that, it should work.

No no no, that's all wrong. Elbatrop's drunk.

Just kidding, I like to give him a hard time. What elbatrop posted is 100% correct, and hopefully that works. I'm actually in class with him right now, so I'm just havnig fun at his expense.

Anyway, the reason for me posting... unless you're running the IIS on a Windows Server operating system, this isn't possible unless you install a 3rd party DNS server onto XP or whatever OS you're using.

hilowe said:
Just remember, Windows 95, 98, and Medon't support multiple IP addresses for one NIC.

im going to have to pull my bs card on this post

In unusual circumstances, you may need to bind more than one statically assigned IP address to a single network interface card (NIC) in a Windows 9x computer. The graphical user interface (GUI) of the Networks applet in Control Panel accepts only one IP address and associated subnet mask, but you can enter more addresses directly into the registry.

Follow these steps to assign more than one IP address via the registry:

1. Open the registry (Regedit.exe).

2. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\.

3. If the PC has only one network card, the active key should be 0000.
This key should have values of IPAddress and IPMask set to the PC's current address and mask.

4. Add to the values in the IPaddress key by placing a comma with no extra spaces between each IP address, such as "192.168.0.122,10.10.10.5."

5. Enter a subnet mask for each IP address in the IPMask key, so that pairs can be built. Separate each value with a comma and no additional spaces, such as "255.255.255.0,255.0.0.0."

6. Close the registry and restart the computer.

To switch between and view the IP addresses, use the builder button in Winipcfg.exe.

NOTE: Editing the registry is risky, so be sure you have a verified backup before saving any changes.

im going to have to pull my bs card on this post

Haha, I did not even notice that. Maybe this would be a good chance to pull out my BS card:

pic.php

Haha, I did not even notice that. Maybe this would be a good chance to pull out my BS card:

really dawg, awe damn thats a shame cus i just did it on a 98 box

"don't you ever doubt me dude, you don't know what the **** ive been through" eminem

i used to do this at work cus on our private network i'd have to connect through a proxy for inet access. with the hack, i set the second ip to our public network and was able to get inet access w/o the proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom