serious networking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
im setting up my friends adsl router basically i got it all work in tip top shape until a few days ago were he couldnt go on the internet no more, so i popped round yesterday evening and i have got no idea atall whats wrong with it, basically the network icon in the system tray reads limited or no connectivity and displayed the explanation mark, so what ive tried to do is uninstall the network card and let windows reinstall it next time windows starts up, also ive tried to let windows repair it but it cant do it, and thast about all ive done. i cant even log on the router configuration settings through the browser, i dont even no why it doesnt do it because its connected to the pc via the patch cable. please any help would be very appreciated, thanks

Call the ISP and see if they are getting any signal to the modem. That would be all that i could think of. I hate DSL. I have not had any luck getting this to work for several people.

yes but i should still be able to access the routers page through the web browser shouldnt i, without the need for an internet connection

I am guessing the NIC doesn't show any problems in device manager? Can you get an IP address or does it have the default windows address? Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

Tried resetting the router?
Is the gateway address correct?

can you ping a website, say google?
'windows key' and 'r', type 'cmd' press enter, type 'ping www.google.com'
If it fails, try turning off the firewall (just for now) and ping again. If the ping gets through, reconfigure your firewall.

You want to ping google.com not "www.google.com", that's poor pratice.

He has no IP address, he can't ping anything.
Factory reset the router. Unplug the DSL from the router, plug the PC into the router, that should get you an IP address, no log into the router and change the ip address to 192.168.2.1. Plug the DSL modem back into the Router, restart the router, restart the PC.
Now see if you ping google.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom