Seprate netwoks

Status
Not open for further replies.

phandentium

In Runtime
Hi there. I've recently got a hold of two computers which I want to get running online. I had the idea to take my SonicWall router and hook it up to another PC with a wireless network connection to the other network which has access to the internet and then take the other two comps and connect them to the SonicWall router. Though it seems I cant get this working properly. Only this one computer has a wireless card. I don't want to spend the cash for an extra long cable. What can I do to get these computers hooked up to the internet?

Any help is appreciated.

*edit*

I want it to work like this:

internetspt2.jpg

What OS does the PC with the wireless card have on it?

If it's XP, you're going to need to set up Internet Connection sharing. If you're running a server OS, set up RRAS in a NAT setup.

Once you get these setup, you're going to need to setup the PC with the wireless card and the Router.

For the PC with the wireless card, you're going to need to make sure that the default gateway is set to the IP of the Wireless Router (should get this by default if you're running DHCP). On the wired network card you're going to need to assign a static IP. I would suggest 172.16.0.101 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

On the Router, you're going to need to set up the WAN network to have a static IP. I would recommend 172.16.0.102 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Then set the default gateway on the router to 172.16.0.101. For DNS you should set the IP to the IP of the Wireless Router.

The rest should configure itself with most standard routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom