Seperate Wireless and landline routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincentnsoa

Solid State Member
I have a Linksys landline router but I'm looking to purchase a wireless router. Let me know if you need specifics.

The problem is, My roomate doesn't want to comprimise the security of his system by connecting to a wireless router. He refuses to allow me to connect it.

My question is, Is there any way I can connect the 2 routers at the same time without splitting my bandwidth like a HUD would.

1st thing.... King... WEP is the less secure.... WPA is the way to go. WPA2 if you have that option.

2nd. Vincent, I am not quite sure what you mean by:
"My question is, Is there any way I can connect the 2 routers at the same time without splitting my bandwidth like a [HUB] would."

Well, regardless, if you have more than one host on a network that have access to the internet, it will be shared.

You can connect a wireless router to the wired router through the LAN ports. You will have to DISABLE DHCP on the wireless router though. Also, make sure you enable the wireless security to keep others out.

wep is less secure to what maybe 2 percent of the population in the world? the guy isnt guarding national secrets, all he needs to tell his roommate is that its a "secured connection" so he will let him have it. and 128 bit would take several hours to crack even if someone were to try, leaving most people to give up if they were just messing around.

Its pointless to keep the wired router if you are going to hook up the wireless one to it. It will still make the network vonerable. But as king said, only to like 2% of the world if you wep or wpa it, and I even think 2% is a huge over statement. Maybe .2%. But hey if your room mate is not in the loop enough to know that wireless is completely safe for the average joe maybe you can trick him into thinking that he will be on a secured wired router and that you will be completely seperate on your dhcp disabled wireless router hooked up to his. This is what I tell people that are afraid of drive by hacking aka wardriving. "If we wep it, anyone who wants free internet will drive another 50 feet to the neighbors un weped network and use there's."

Ethereal_Dragon: I meant a port HUB (sorry was a typo) to separate my router from his... but that would split the bandwidth instead of evenly distribute it like a single router does (as far as I understand).

I've tried to explain how wireless connections aren't as dangerous as they once were, but he is not hearing it. He has actually decided this issue is so important that he's moving out.

I really appreciate all the info you guys have given me and I'm sure it will help in future debates... I may end up trying to go with WPA for security.

PS. Do you know of any links that could give me a crash-course in recent security information of a wireless router?

Here is a good link for you: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php

As far as splitting the bandwidth, the only ways to do that are to:

1. use the bandwidth
2. use software in the router or gateway to limit bandwidth... adding a hub won't effect the bandwidth... (will ad 1 or 2ms to pings times, but thats about it).

So you're saying if I were to run my connection through the modem and into a port hub... then run 2 routers from that hub... that my connection speed wouldn't be effected significantly?

Thanks for the link... found a few things useful.

My question is what kind of crap does he have on his computer that he is that obsessed with keeping secure? Advise him to password protect his computer and possibly encrypt whatever "data" he is worried about.

As for the network, always "lead off" with one of the routers. It will provide NAT, otherwise you'll need 2 WAN IP's. Which I'm sure your ISP wouldn't be more than willing to charge you for each.

You can always run the wireless router without DHCP/NAT, that way it is acting only as a WAP and isn't taking up unecessary resources.

As E_D said, the bandwidth is there for everyone to use. (unless you set up QoS to limit what kind of traffic can use the bandwidth) You'll see the same sort of usage effects as your normally would.

I would actually say that I'm the more protective of my stuff...

I use Zone Alarm, Windows (p:139), Linksys firmware, and Windows Defender, as well as a wide assortment of selective spy ware, ad ware, and virus protective programs. I'm not saying that I'm completely secure... but I think I have a decent base covered.

He uses only the firmware from the router because he doesn't want to mess with a firewall... and he says I'm the one being reckless (go figure).

He is just overly paranoid because he has found a low rate wireless packet-intercept program and has tried it out a couple times... since he doesn't have the knowledge of how to do the same thing on a land-line he assumes its secure (suddenly he thinks he knows what the **** he's talking about when it comes to securing a network) (not that I do). He really has no data he needs to secure, just fears someone will try to use his bandwidth.
But as dishman says "... anyone who wants free internet will drive another 50 feet to the neighbors unweped network and use there's."

I'm sorry, I think I'm starting to ramble... just wanted to paint a clearer picture for you. At any rate, thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom