Senior Citizen Needs Help, PC Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadRunner6

Solid State Member
Hope I'm posting this in the correct area.

I already have a desktop PC and a laptop connected to the internet with a DSL service thru my phone company. I have a 2Wire wireless DSL modem (2701HG-D ..... it is about one year old), connections to adjacent new PC with ethernet wire and upstairs laptop thru the laptop wireless Wi-Fi. Our DSL service is the basic speed, about 1.5Mbps, actual speed I think is about 1.2 and .7 tested.

I have replaced a defective power supply in a 6 yr old PC, Dell Dimension 4600 (Windows XP), and now would like to put it in the kitchen as a second desktop for my wife for internet use mainly. I would like to connect it to the 2Wire DSL modem wirelessly if possible. It will be about 25 feet away max.

I'm a little confused as to the best way to do this and I'm not too good on the correct terminolgy. If I understand correctly I can either install a wireless wi-fi card inside the desktop (I see instructions online on how to do this) or I think maybe I can use a wi-fi card that uses a USB slot on the computer?

Is this card the correct type for the interior card?

Belkin : Wireless G Desktop Card

Is this card the correct type for an exterior USB card?

AirLink AWLL6070 150Mbps Wireless N USB 2.0 Adapter - n Draft 2.0, Dual LED, Windows 2000XPVista Compatible at TigerDirect.com

What are the advantages/disadvantages with either type card for me? Are these above in the right price range for my use? Any other specific recommendations would be appreciated. I see so many references to 811.b.g.n.etc. and so many Mbps specs that I'm not sure which one I need.

THANKS MUCH for any help you can give this old fart who didn't grow up with computers but is trying to learn.

I have always preferred an internal pci card to a usb one.

I will admit that my experience with usb wifi is with older models and it is possible that the quality has improved.

Definitely avoid a USB "card". The integrated antenna and limited choice of chipsets for USB adapters make them much slower and less reliable.

I checked out and your Dimension 4600 should have two free PCI slots, so I would suggest going for an internal PCI wi-fi adapter, but also try to avoid the brand you mention, Belkin. D-Link (for example) should be easy to find and are decent enough.

Thanks for the very quick replies. Yes, I do have the empty PCI slots and it looks simple to install. Thanks for the opinion on which one is better. I will Google the D-links.

Try to stay away from Belkin as the above poster stated, search for D-Link, or Netgear, I have both netgear and D-link products in my network, neither have failed me. Belkin on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom