sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I'm setting up my server and I think I'm nearly done (wheeew) just one wee problem that I don't think is too big of an issue, but nonetheless it needs to get solved. My CMS sends out emails to everyone once they register. My problem is that sendmail (am I using the right thing?) isn't sending it. I couldn't find any documentation on how to set up the smtp part of sendmail at sendmail's site, so I just apt-get installed'd sendmail and crossed my fingers it would be working. Unfortunatly, that wasn't the case. When I register a dummy account and it sends the email, I can see in the system moniter that sendmail is running, but the recipient of the email doesn't recieve it. The arguments on the sendmail process is something like /etc/sendmail -i -t. My configuration is as follows: (PHP 5, MySQL 4.x, Apache 2.0, Ubuntu Linux..... i don't know what else goes here). Thanks in advance for any links to documentation on the matter, or some information from your own experience on how to configure sendmail to send mail lol.

bump... i need to know by the 28th. thats when my hosting deal is cancelled and i need to have a functioning site going.

bump again.. sorry for all the bumps. normally i would let it go but.. this definatley needs to be solved. there are only 6 and a half more days until its crucial that i have this running. is sendmail the right application to use? what do I use to get my server to send mail out from, for instance, a simple PHP mail sending script?
Also, if anyone knows, how do I bind a domain name to my IP? Like, I have sapphireconcepts.net registered right now and my current hosting provider has these nameservers. something like ns50.secure-server.net and ns51.secure-server.net. I know for a fact I don't have that many IP addresses lmao. I have one. I signed up for this dyndns thing, is that how I use sapphireconcepts.net with my dynamic IP?
Using my IP for the time being isn't too bad though. I can just get my registrar to forward any requests for the domain to my IP right? That will be fine for a temporary solution until I figure this out.
But the mail sending thing is important. Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think anyone here have any experience with sendmail, neither do I. Sorry

Bind your DNS? if you have an internal DNS server, you can just configure it to direct the host name to the internal IP address of your webserver or server (this is for internal usage). Usually you don't need a DNS for just that one thing, editing the host file of the internal client is enough, if you have little to do.

But if you're using dynamicDNS services, it's already there. The FQDN will be associated with your public IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom