Sending packets, but not receiving any

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darin

Solid State Member
Having wireless connection issues. No internet connection, but a scan of device manager says all hardware is fine. I have downloaded the latest wireless device drivers, but no luck. Checked wireless connection that says I've a got a good signal from the wireless router, but no luck. I checked the properties of the connection and there are packets being sent, but zero received.

I Googled this issue and read on suggestions--most suggest set a static IP address of 192.168.X.X with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. FAIL! ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew both had similar results. Nothing seems to work. This is a Dell D610 laptop with XP.

Any suggestions?

Connect. Then check your ip config and get your router's IP (and make sure the rest of the info is correct while you're there.)
Try pinging your router's IP address. If that fails, then I've got a few things you could try. Do this and post back anyway

This will take a couple of days. It's EOM time at work and I get to be very busy. I'll get back to you.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I got some info finally...

Here's what I found under the ipconfig results:

Wireless LAN Adapter:

IPv4 address 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway BLANK

DHCP Server 255. 255. 255. 255

DNS Server fec 0.0.0.0: ffff: 1x1
2x1
3x1

Can not see anything that IDs my router anywhere...Do you think like I do that the router is DOA?

If you don't want to give yourself a static IP address, try this:

1. Connect to the network
2. Install and run wireshark and monitor your wireless interface
3. Try release/renew your IP address.
4. Watch what's coming through with wireshark, see if the router is even offering any address.

We can troubleshoot further from there.

Took it to a friend's house to try things on his network...instantly got access to the internet. Bought a new router from Tiger.

My old familiar issue is still not working. I'm trying to get this to share files. I've set up networks, set up shared folders, but still can not get this to access the folders on this. I did this on my wife's laptop with no problem and can easily access files on our desktop from her laptop, but I'm getting stuck with this one. Both laptop and desktop are using XP Professional and simple file sharing is turned on. I type the name of the desktop and the file name (\\server name\file name) and get "Can not find a file by that name" or some similar stuff. Any suggestions?

My mistake. I wrote file when I should have written folder. Yes. My shared folders are genuinely folders. Still not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom