Security settings for wireless access. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight42

Solid State Member
I am trying to connect to my wireless internet, but it says that the "settings saved on this computer for the network does not match the requirements of the network."

I try to diagnose (I'm using Vista) and its just can't find the problem. My roommate can connect though. So nothing is wrong with the wireless itself. I don't know what setting to change.

I think it say something to do with that fact it is unsecured right now.

Yes it used to.

Also don't know if this matters. But I can still connect to internet when I connect directly through what I think is called an ethernet cable? But wireless is a no go

Okay, the problem is Vista is still recognizing the old password, since you most likely saved it. You'll have to go to the network properties for the specific network via the Network and Sharing center, and take out the password.

Lemme see if I can find a step by step...

I can't find a step by step, and I haven't had to worry about wireless networks in Vista for a looonng time, lol. Whenever you go to connect to the wireless network, you just open the properties and edit the WEP settings. It should be like "edit profile" or something.

Start > Network > Networking and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless networks option on the side panel > Right click your connection there > Properties > security tab > can change the WEP key there.

You could also right click on the icon to get to Network and Sharing. But the rest of that seems about right. :D Chase to the rescue!

Might be a little different since I'm in Win 7 right now, but I believe its the same.

What do I change in the security tab? It says security type: WPA-Enterprise. There is no WEP option

I tried the WPA-Personal, but it won't let me hit ok without something typed in the password part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom