Security Permissions on Folders in Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello. I work with our IT Administrator and some other students at my school. I used to know the Administrator password so that I could use that to configure folders and such that I needed to. I am usually taking pictures for things such as Homecoming, Snow Week, Yearbook and etc. I have to be logged into the Administrator account so that when I go to the Student Srvr, and then go to HS Course Folders.. I can change the permissions of who can access the pictures I took, who can modfy and such. There is only 3 current users listed under the "Homecoming" folder I created. Me (with full privilleges), Administrator (with full privilleges) and also System (with full privilleges). Since it depends on cases when I want people to see them and such, I am usually changing the permissions to who can see it and who cant being on the Administrator account. If I log into the computer at the school using MY account and then going to the same place and right clicking on Homecoming and then security.. It will not let me add, delete or change any permissions even though I have full privilleges to that folder and am the owner of that folder. If I click on Folder Owner, it gives me a message and says "You do not have permission to view the current owner". The IT guy now changed the password (not because of me being on there) but because of unauthorized access. So now I cant log into the Admin account and would like to change the permissions without being on the Administrator account.

Can anyone advise what to do here?

Thanks!

If I log into the computer at the school using MY account and then going to the same place and right clicking on Homecoming and then security.. It will not let me add, delete or change any permissions even though I have full privilleges to that folder and am the owner of that folder. If I click on Folder Owner, it gives me a message and says "You do not have permission to view the current owner".

the owner of the folder should always be able to change permissions of its objects. This is by design.

if you cannot view the owner, that tells me you are not the owner.

what do you do to logon? can you access the admin share?

Yes, I checked to make sure I was the owner and it said I was.. Since I couldnt set myself as the owner and I was logged into my account, I logged into the administrator account and changed the Owner to me (since it is me). He also has us in different and seperate groups such as Class_09, Accounting, Computers and such so im wondering if im apart of those groups, is that why its making me not to be able to have the full privilleges which I should have? To login, I enter 09bmace for a user name and then enter my password.. If I go into the network places and go out to that Homecoming folder, I can right click on it and click on Security and I can see who all has access to it, but everything on MY account is being grayed out to me and not being able to change anything.

It would be something with the group you are in. If individual changes didnt work then it would have to be the permissions with the user group you are in. Which is most likely controlled by GPO.

It would be something with the group you are in. If individual changes didnt work then it would have to be the permissions with the user group you are in. Which is most likely controlled by GPO.

Yes, or individual permissions assigned to you, the user. Maybe that is what Mak meant by "individual changes"? If so, forget I repeated him. :p

Yes i did mean individual permissions. Thank you for making it more clear. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom