Security Camera DNS Addresses

cyclones

In Runtime
Hello. I have two Panasonic security cameras and two Axis security cameras at my home. I've setup all of the cameras to have an 'external dns' name so I can access them remotely. I have also forwarded all of the necessary ports on my Asus RT-N66U Router to their respective private IP addresses. So here is the problem. When I try to access the 'external' link within my LAN for the *Axis Computers*, my wireless on my laptop will shut off and then reconnect itself. I also have the cameras set up on my Android phone and my phone is connected to my LAN network... I can access the Panasonic external DNS address WITHIN my network, but when I try to do the Axis cameras.. My wireless network will disconnect itself. What am I doing wrong here? Reason asking is because I want to add all of my network cameras on my phone as a 'external address' and still be able to access them through my LAN...

Thanks!

Hi
I recommend changing the wireless channel on the Asus router. Sounds like something happens to interfere with the wireless signal when the axis cameras try to make a connecton.

I'm probably replying really late on this, but now I ran into a different issue. When I try to access the camera's external host names within my LAN, nothing happens.. It doesn't connect to the host name and times out.. When I try to do it outside my LAN, it works just fine.. Is there a loop or something that's causing this not to work? Thanks a bunch.

Many home routers do not have the capability for NAT loopback. Either you can enable it in your router or it does not support it.

NAT Loopback allows you to access the external IP address from inside your home or office network. This is useful when you run a server inside your network. It allows you to use the same public IP address (and hence hostname) to access the server from both your home or office network as well as from the Internet.

Basically you have to refer to your cameras by it's internal IP address when you are connected from inside your LAN.

Creativity

Ok, thanks. I didnt know what the term was called but now NAT loopback makes sense. After doing some more research, I found out I had to add this script to my DD-WRT router :

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --save-mark
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Solved!

Back
Top Bottom