Security Cam NVR System - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Security Cam NVR System

Hey all. Wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations. I'm looking for a 2 to 4 camera wired IP camera system with an NVR. Most of the results I searched for doesn't include the IP camera capability; only the old analog cables. I'm wanting to utilize the IP function so the cameras can be be POE and can run the cables longer. Preferably would need a 1TB hard drive with the NVR. The system needs to be able to record 24/7 which is why I don't want wireless or battery cameras. Any insight or recommendations would be beneficial. Thank you!

Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Security Cam NVR System

Ubiquiti is probably your easiest solution.
My recommended solution, although probably a bit more expensive, is a NAS or small server running Nx Witness with whatever cameras you'd like. it's on the expensive side ($150 per camera IIRC), but I set up a ~$500,000 cluster for my last company that monitored rocket engine and component tests. it's rock solid.

At home I use Amcrest cameras with ZoneMinder.

iFargle.com
7700k 32GB RAM 512GB 960 Pro GTX 1080 NCase M1
15" Retina MBP || 128GB OnePlus 6 || 64GB iPad Air 2
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam: iFargle

"Because we are the pioneers. The star sailors. The thinkers. The visionaries. The doers.
And because we stand on the shoulders of giants, to go farther than humanity has ever been,
we will add our names to the roles of the greatest adventurers in history."
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

+1 to Ubiquiti as a solution. You can buy their G3 camera packs for around 600 bucks, and their NVR I believe is around 350 and comes with a 1TB drive (upgradeable). You can access your system pretty easily via internal network and via an app on your phone. They have wireless internal cameras that are wall powered that work well, and have communication functionality. Below is a quality example of their $75 G3 Flex on adaptive bitrate streaming (aka it's not max quality it's capable of) which is also a PoE indoor/outdoor camera. Excuse the mess, I have 4 kids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (93.7 KB, 5 views)

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Awesome, thanks for the replies iFargle and PP Mguire!

Tags
nvr, security, security camera