Secure Tunneling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvr2008

Beta member
I would like to access the internet and do things like online banking and RDPing into my home computer, without anyone being able to sniff anything useful off the line. This would be from a machine running WinXP over a wired network. I have a computer off site that I could use in the equation. I have read that I could use a regular VPN but its slow, and is it really secure without being able to set up the routers on WinXP box side to handle IPSec or something? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Are you wanting to connect from work or from a laptop or what? If you are trying to connect from work you need to talk to whoever is in charge of the network there. If it's all your own equipment you can go with VNC or any VPN client. We use Cisco VPN client here and it's pretty fast.

Work is a perfect example. I am not so worried about it there. I was thinking more hotspots, neighbors networks, and school. I am looking for something that encapsulates the info better, that would not be dependent on any hardware , other than perhaps my home network. It might be asking a bit much but, it would be really cool if I was able to redirect say ftp traffic through a different port so it would be able to get past a firewall if there was one in the way. I have read some about OpenSSH and things of that nature, but I am not really sure how to implement it.

yeah SSH is probably what you want but the evil firewall is going to spoil your plans in all likelihood, at least from any location with any security anyway.
Most places will have firewalls that only allow specific programs access to specific ports, at work for example I'm stuck with my web browser on port 80, everything else is blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom