Searching for solution: cloud vs. remote access

gypsywitch

Beta member
Hi! I'm searching for the best solution for my needs of accessing my data from anywhere. I have about 4TB and growing of pictures, music and videos that I would like to access from where ever I am, without having to tote around my hard drives to do so. I would like to access all of my files from any of my personal devices within my own home, from my phone or laptop when away, and have the ability for friends and family to access chosen files when I am not with them. I would also like to be able to backup my data in case any hard drive fails or any other fatal disaster occurs.

I'm not fond of the idea of uploading all to some random cloud service and then paying a monthly fee. So, my question is; What are my best options for personal privacy and price conscious solutions? Cloud devices or internal cloud networking or remote access? Do I need to continue buying more external hard drives and have duplicate devices or are there better solutions?

Help! Too much media, not enough space! I know we are at a pivotal moment in time where many people are running into this issue and there are various solutions occurring. I'm just having trouble finding the one that is most suiting for my needs. I want a solution that will assist me for the most longevity through our technological advancements till the next phase again occurs. (i.e. the cassette tape or cd solution, as opposed to the 8 track or mini-disk solution) :)

Thanks in advance for any input you may have on helping me solve my problem.

For the cloud portion, I guess it depends on how technical you wanna get with doing it yourself. I use my asus router as a cloud server for external 2TB HDD. It's great, not complicated, kinda slow, but hey! it's a $180 cloud solution with personal access using my own hard drives.

I do a lot of remote access (mostly ssh, but if I want to access my Windows computer I use TeamViewer) and copy whatever I need / want over that way. ie, it's more of an as-needed basis. If I want to watch a movie that's on a drive at home, I'd have to copy the entire thing over before I watched it because my upload rate is pitiful.

Back
Top Bottom