Searching for a guru of freezing MMORPG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuterAddict

Beta member
I am a longtime viewer, first time poster on this site. You gentlemen and ladies are amazingly helpful. So I now come to you experts with a problem that has my game friends, my family, me, and the router company all stumped.

If you can help...I'd owe you one bigtime. Been dealing with this for about 2 years. And I finally got sick of it :mad: !!
I have 1gig of ram in each computer.
I have a Surfboard Cable Modem.
I have a Linksys 8-port Switch Router.
I play World of Warcraft, a popular MMORPG, with 4 different computers hooked up to the router.
In high lag *graphic intensive* sections, the game freezes. It stops responding to my commands. To others that are NOT frozen, I am acting normal until I disconnect, BUT for me, I cannot see any actions post-freeze.

After about 3 minutes, if I don't ALt+Tab out of it and delete WOW.EXE from TaskManager, I disconnect.

During this entire thing, my internet is solid. I can load pages, do anything I want, all my lights on my modem are going, with connectivity solid across the board. But the MMORPG freezes.

I have also played Everquest under the same circumstances. Everquest is an MMORPG that is graphics intensive just like World of Warcraft. Everquest would get laggy sometimes, but RARELY oh so rarely, I'm talking once a month, would freeze on me. WoW is about every 5-50 minutes in a graphics intensive zone.

If anyone that has experience or insight can offer assistance to this situation it would be most appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this guys and girls =).

~Adam

Sounds to me lke your Video Card is freezing this. Are you overclocking your video card? If not, what kind of card do you have? I know that ATI cards have a lot of problems in these graphic intensize games - but I haven't seen it first hand since I've always used nVidia. I say with 90% certainty that regardless of anything, your video card is causing this problem - especially if we know it's not your Internet conenction and if people can still see your movements online (and you can't), it can't be the application.

Well I *HAD* a reply...but then...my internet crashed...They know I'm trying to fix it so they try to keep me from the solution! JERKS!

Anyways.

All computers have Nvidia cards.
Best computer has a Verto GeForce 6600 256MB DDR.
My computer has an Nvidia NV36 256MB DDR.
Other 2 computers have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE 256MB DDR.

I was told it might be my router. Linksys has a very bad rep it seems =(. Am Just looking for more feedback. Hit me up please so we can work together on fixing this. Would be most appreciated and thank you for your support as of yet =).

~Adam

If this is happening on all 4 computers, it would have to be your router (it's the only thing common among the 4 of them). Some routers have an option called "Gaming Mode" which you can try. If not, I don't know the sxact setting that may be causing this. I'd try decreasing your transmission rate downward (from 22Mbps to 11 Mbps for example). I'd also try changing from 4X to 1X if you can. These settings cause a lot more collisions it seems - that could be part of the problem, but I don't want to guarantee anything. Otherwise, you may be wise to just get a different router??

I don't know how to access my router options. I'm a dunce when it comes to this section of my computers because someone else hooked it up. Can you explain to me how to do those things step-by-step if at all possible? WOuld be a great help. And thanks again!

~Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom