SBS2003 admin log in locked out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imburr

Solid State Member
Sigh. Installing SBS 2003, got to installing Exchange server, and came up with an error. I hit retry, same error. So I skipped it. Got to installing server tools, and froze up. I had to unplug it to restart. Then, I was locked out of admin. So I booted from CD, formatted, repartitioned, installed again. I had to install 2 drivers from a cd I burned- one for the intel chipset (sm bus) and one for the ethernet. At this point, I restarted to let the install drivers go to work, and I am locked out of Admin again. I logged in as guest... with no access to anything. How come it keeps resetting my password or locking me out? I am very carefull when I type it in, and it is easily remembered. I kept it simple for the installation. Any ideas?

No chance, one server domain and this is that server set up. I did get in, though it was not an effective way. I downloaded and burned a boot cd that let me edit the SAM settings. I CHANGED the admin password to something rediculously easy, and it still would not let me in. So after another hard reset (that makes 5 now, how nervous am I?) I reset the admin password to blank, and it lets me in. I just now finished the installation, have to spend the next 5 hours doing to to-do list, assigning the IP's, setting up the VPN, and managing the disks and back ups. Any idea why it will not let me in with a password at all? Where should I investigate this? Computer Management>User Settings>Admin?

my only idea is this:
You set up an admin password for the local machine without setting up an admin pass for the domain.

When you restarted it wanted to log you into the domain versus the local machine and the admin account you wanted to use was not set on the domain.

when you get to the logon screen you can press the options (i believe) button and see if you are logging on to the local machine or the domain.

Well, here is the thing- I can log into SBS 2003, but not into the domain server. I set up many users, as well as my administrator account, and none of the passwords work.

For SBS 2003 I currently have user as Admin, with no password. This is the only way I can get in, leaving it blank. Can you tell me step by step how to change my user name and password as ADMINISTRATOR of SBS 2003?

For the domain I had the user as Administrator, with a password of **********. I recently went into server management, users, selected Administrator, and change password. I then left it blank. It told me it would take affect next log out. So I logged out, and back in, and then tried to log into the company intranet web site. When prompted for the password I left it blank, and got no log in. Would you be able to give me a step by step to rename the user.password of the domain controller admin account for a domain?

Next, I have having some serious trouble configuring VPN, and accessing the server from the clients. Some or XP Home, which doesnt support domains, which is a pain. We will be upgrading to Vista soon. The access plan is as follows.

Small office network with server, VPN router, 6 client computers. 3 Client users need access to SQL database, a HR program, and companyweb, ran off of the server.

Outside of the small office network, 4-5 user clients need access to the SQL database only, with limited rights. I am not sure how to set up CAL for generic VPN, without manually adding them every time, I think.

I am taking a crash course of policies atm, out of the SBS Admin Companion book. Any other places you could tell me that might help me set up: VPN, security policies, user client accounts, domain access, and user passwords and policies?

FYI: The installation of SBS2003 went corrupt on hour 4, I had to format and reinstall. After all the password problems, and the lsass.exe problems, and safe mode a million times- the server is up, but I am afraid to reboot and encounter the lsass.exe problem again. Total SBS 2003 install and partial configuration time: 4:20 PM to 5:15 AM. Thirteen hours FML :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom