save my relationship...please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyinwales

Beta member
My boyfriend is driving me mad as he is being disconnected from the net at around 10.30pm every day.......its only started in the last week but its a mystery as to why its doing it. He has rung wanadoo, his ISP, they have reset his connection but lo and behold once again its doing the same. Could there be something set on the pc that has done this? He is running Windows 98. Any help would be gratefully recieved as I am at the end of my tether............hes driving me round the bend!!!

Is this a cable connection? DSL? Do you have any wirelss devices within this network to which you are connecting to? Are you serious in saying that you'd leave him because of his unfortunate internet connection? LOL....kidding...

-Mike

if he's getting disconnected at 10pm at night than either he's using 56k and someone else is disconnecting him (from an incoming or outgoing call) or the ISP bandwidth is just being flooded by a lot of users at the same time. There's not other explaination I could think of why he would get disconnected at the same time always at 10:30pm.

...oh wait I take that back. maybe the ISP is just updating their servers at 10:30 at night so they have to shut down everyone's connection for a few minutes?

thanx all.......well in answer to everyone......he has a 56k modem which only runs at 28.8kbps. As for leaving him if he cant get connected.........I would be happier if he never got connected in the first place,,.....lol
for AnGuiSh: think you are right....lol
I thought about it being an incoming call but there have been no calls when he checks. I use same ISP and I dont get kicked off at 10.30pm

What happens is he is on net then he hears his phone ring and hes off.........he cant then get back on for hours. It can happen from 10.15pm to 10.45pm, well thats when its happened so far. His son is on the net all day and nothing happens then.

Any more ideas?

it's probably just a setting he needs to set for his analog 56k modem than. I have not used a 56k modem for a long time I wouldn't know which setting to try. ask him if he has "call waiting" service for his phone. if he does tell him to put in the number that will disable the call waiting in his modem settings. it should be a setting called "number to disable call waiting: [xxx]" or something like this. usually it is 9 or 7 (use the defualt it suggests if unsure), he would need to ask his phone company what it is. if he doesn't have call waiting than it is likely an updated modem driver will fix this problem. if it's an old modem their might not be a new version to download.

personally the way I would fix this is mess with every setting on the modem through the control panel and if it didn't work I would ask myself why am I using dialup instead of broadband?.....than I would realize it is because I am broke.....than I would just go to the store and buy a good 56k modem to replace the old one. if that didn't fix it I would realize the operating system (win98/ Millenium) needs reinstalling. after OS reinstall I would try all of the above again. .......if it still doesn't work I would just set my computer on fire :)

Ahhhhhh....could be we live in the sticks and such things as broadband havent got here yet.......but good news its coming in Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom