Satilite Internet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, I know almost nothing on satilite internet, but I do know, since I no longer game online, and I never use the net for anything other than communication, and downloads, that it may be my best bet for right now. I have run into money issues, and dial up and two phone lines is NOT cheap. So I started to look at satilite internet, since we have no dsl or cable here. I found that Dish Network provides satilite net for $49.95 and $200 for the equipment. Now my question is, would this be a one way, or two way system??? I don't want a phone line involved in any of this if at all possible...

So, what are the disadvantages, and advantages of satilite??? How can I be sure that I won't get screwed over in the end???

by what i know your satelite can go out when there is bad weather,you can choose if you want a phone line with the deal (costs more) but thats what i seen when i looked. where im from the equipment costs a grand and 60 a month.

I was looking at Wild Blue, and they want $200 installation, and $49.95 a month... I can deal with it going out once in awhile, cause my power usualy goes out before our satilite TV goes out...

Well, back when i lived out in the woods, this was my only option, i read up on satellite internet for months, you say you surf and download is ur main goal, well sorry to break it down to you.. but with all Satellite providers you have a FAP, you can only download so many MB's per hour or per day or.. it might be different now, but if you go over ur FAP then ur speed is cut down to nothing. its really bad, heard people having it be REALLY slow, slower then dial up when prime time, when most of their users get on at once

"Satilite" has horrible latencies.
So good for internet and downloading, but not gamming or real time internet applications.

"Satilite" has horrible latencies.
So good for internet and downloading, but not gamming or real time internet applications.

STE is right, you get worst pings then dial up... around 500-700MS last time i checked.

More than that. I get 800-1000ms on good days, and do about 10kb/s on a 1000/256 package. All this joy for $100 + tax a month. Long story short, dont get Xplornet.

If you dont want to get screwed over, that is...

Read up on Fair Access Policy's. That should be enough to turn you off.

More than that. I get 800-1000ms on good days, and do about 10kb/s on a 1000/256 package. All this joy for $100 + tax a month. Long story short, dont get Xplornet.

If you dont want to get screwed over, that is...

Read up on Fair Access Policy's. That should be enough to turn you off.

Yep, they charge you that much a month,cause they know you will pay it, cause you have no other option other then dial up, but satelite is a must if u can't get nothing else, they make a killing off people that use satellite its crazy.

Just be careful you don't get stung on any download limitations from your future provider, it has been known that they (sometimes) have strict limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom